MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Another Wedding at "The Ranch" (long)

The weekend before last, I had another wedding at "The Ranch." This was a special wedding in that the bride fired 3 wedding coordinators prior to her special day, and some other vendors as well

We went back and forth up and too the last minute adding and subtracting based on their budget. This wedding was contracted out at 115, but it appears to have had 130 in attendance.

The Menu:

Starters
Grilled mini- cheese sandwiches
Chicken Skewers

Entree
Grilled chicken
BBs
Tri-tip
Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Baked Beans
Grilled Veggies (Scallions, asparagus and assorted sweer peppers in oyster sauce)

First mistake, letting the client reduce my staff from 8-6 for budget considerations (I should have known better).

Second, agreeing to the given Timeline (We could not serve dinner until 8p, lightning was wretched and I had to carve farking tri-tip in the dark)

Third, not reviewing the adjusted timeline prior to two days before the event (she pulled some fast ones on me).

This was a high maintenace wedding with hollywood B list actor types. We worked our collective arses off and it showed as we received high praise!

This was my fist gig where I found myself saying 'just make it to the end of the gig.'

What I fond helpful for this type of gig. You must have a drill sargeant, someone to keep the troops on task other than me. It frees me up to keep calm and trouble shoot.

Jaime serves as my drill sargeant - she is in charge of making sure the crew gets the tables set, tablescapes, buffet area, etc. I found it easy to have her in charge of this area because its usually other women handling these task (no sweet talking me, this is business, lol). I saw her several times light the fire under her crew to make things happen.
Jaime and I now have pre-meetings to plot the event days in advance.
Yes, she gets paid more than the other servers, but she is worth her weight in gold!

I am in charge of the grill, bartenders (sorry no pics this time) and communicating with the coordinators.

Bride threw me a couple of curves that cost me some dough. I was going to send her a bill post the wedding for tonic water, water and other bar supplies that I incurred the day of the wedding at the last minute. However, I decided to eat the cost, because I was fearful I would lose my professionalism, if she tripped about the bill. I incurred about $300 in cost due to the listed last minute things that I was not contractually responsible.

I still made some nice dough as did my staff and sometimes you need to decide, if it is worth it, which I decided it was not to send a post bill (usually not a problem, but this may have been). Potentially losing my professionalism is not worth $300. Losing it would haunt me!

Here are the only pics taken and I missed the food shots as it was dark as hell by the time dinner was served

Jaime has on the cap

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers

Last edited by big brother smoke; 09-02-2008 at 09:20 AM..
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Bbq Bubba

Very nice, don't you guys EVER worry about rain???

How come the girls look a lot more relaxed than you?

#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

Topless dancers? (last pic)

Looks like another fine job.

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Bigmista

Well done brother. Why does Cliff look lost?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

Lost? Is that what you think Cliff looks like? Looks like he's getting goosed!!
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:18 AM   #6
Qcrue2U
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryhb View Post

HAhAHHAh

He's like = wtf!!!
el cheapO gasser
ECB - Smoke N Grill
mini webber clone, with warming rack!
Brinkman - Verticle
My arsenals of the trade!! \m/

Qcrue2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:52 AM   #7
Norcoredneck

Double goosed! Note the 2 missing hands. Great Job Stef.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!

Last edited by Norcoredneck; 09-03-2008 at 10:34 AM..
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Somebody needs to scribble all over that! Damn...I got the Butta for her muffin... of course she will think I'm too old to hold the knife.

That's the best looking layout for a BBQ wedding I have ever seen.... the plate treatment is devine.

The anxiousness before the wedding and crazy brides is why I can't stand weddings and will only do them on a caterer front. I have opted to do more bachelor Parties instead.... they are like.... just bring the food and kegs.... no drama.

And my trailer is capable of smoking BBQ (10 feet of deck outside, Cooking and serving (13 feet dedicated commissary inside) and Dj both, beer out the back (8 feet in rear) with video screens (LCD) with videos of interests (know what I mean).

ALL the drama I face is when I tell the mothers and daughters I will not do a wedding.

God Bless you for your patience. Serving spaghetti at a wedding is stressful enough much less something as crazy as BBQ to get out.

BRAVO!!!! Of course with lovely ladies like your's to work with. Such Lovliness. Lawd!

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:35 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryhb View Post
Somebody would know all about being goosed...

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

LMFAO!!!!!!!! Touche!
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Somebody needs to scribble all over that! Damn...I got the Butta for her muffin... of course she will think I'm too old to hold the knife.

That's the best looking layout for a BBQ wedding I have ever seen.... the plate treatment is devine.

The anxiousness before the wedding and crazy brides is why I can't stand weddings and will only do them on a caterer front. I have opted to do more bachelor Parties instead.... they are like.... just bring the food and kegs.... no drama.

And my trailer is capable of smoking BBQ (10 feet of deck outside, Cooking and serving (13 feet dedicated commissary inside) and Dj both, beer out the back (8 feet in rear) with video screens (LCD) with videos of interests (know what I mean).

ALL the drama I face is when I tell the mothers and daughters I will not do a wedding.

God Bless you for your patience. Serving spaghetti at a wedding is stressful enough much less something as crazy as BBQ to get out.

BRAVO!!!! Of course with lovely ladies like your's to work with. Such Lovliness. Lawd!

Thanks for the compliment! Can you post some detailed pics when you get a chance of your trailer?