Score these two pork boxes for appearance

Gowan

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
OK, here's the experiment. Below are a couple pork boxes we turned in at past events. Please score each for appearance and also note if you are a CBJ. I'll reveal the marks each received later.

BOX A
porkwinchester07vj1.jpg

BOX B
porkkennesaw07gw0.jpg

A - 7 (I believe that's either french parsley or cilantro and that's legal - if not the table capt would let us know after we put down our scores)
B - 8

CBJ

A - 7 Looks pale and a little dry.. not very enticing
B - 8 I may have given it a 9 in real life if it had the sheen of juiciness.

CBJ

I'm not a CBJ. I want to eat box A more, even though box B looks like the more "traditional" entry. Personally, I'd give them both an 8, which probably doesn't help your test.

I think the meat looks great in both boxes but have never judged and am entering my first contest this weekend so I have a question, if its ok to ask it here......I keep seeing the pulled pork in big hunks, which looks very appealing. Its kinda making me hungry right now....I use the bear paws to tear mine and it shreds it. Is shredding less exceptable than the hunks? Sorry if this is off topic.

A- 8. Looks just a bit dry but could be the picture. The cilantro looks funny all bunched around but I'm not judging that.

B- 9. Looks good and moist. Nice color.

CBJ

Box A - 7
Box B - 8, almost gave it a 9

Not a CBJ, but did not study the pics to pick them apart either.

I think the meat looks great in both boxes but have never judged and am entering my first contest this weekend so I have a question, if its ok to ask it here......I keep seeing the pulled pork in big hunks, which looks very appealing. Its kinda making me hungry right now....I use the bear paws to tear mine and it shreds it. Is shredding less exceptable than the hunks? Sorry if this is off topic.
Great question. I personally do chunks. I do not shred. To me the more bark the better

This thread gave me a hankering for pulled pork sammich..

sucks for me...

arghhhhhhhhhhh.

A= 6
B=8

Cbj

Last edited:
I like the experiment, I have not read any replies and I am a CBJ.

Box A: I would give an 8 I think the pork looks good But I think the Parsley is distracting and a bit of a mess or to me it would be a 9.

Box B: I would give an 8.5 I am in between an 8 and 9 in person at the judging table I could go either way I really like the look of the pork and if the Parsley weren't sticking out of the box and distracting me from the meat I would give it a 9 for sure.

Now to read the rest of the comments

A: 7
B: 6

Box A probably scored better in the other two areas: Taste & Tenderness. The chucks are bigger and not as stringy. Box B probably tasted dry, even though it looks shiny. If box A wouldn't have had all that rub visibly sprinkled on it and a little sauce added, it would be a 9.

Edit: That is flat leaf parsley in the first box.

Back