Bacon Wrapped "Burnt Ends"??

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
Thinking of some different "snacks" for Thanksgiving.

Has anyone wrapped "burnt ends", with or without sauce, in bacon?
Kinda like MOINKS with solid meat, not ground.

I have a couple of Chuckies on and thinking of cubing some of it up to about 3/4" or so, re-rubbing the chunks, and cooking a bit more .
Then wrap in bacon with a toothpick to hold it together.
Finish up on the smoker/grill to crisp up the bacon and apply sauce.

Comments??

Disclaimer--I am not calling these burnt ends or MOINKS. Just phrases for reference :redface:

Thanks,

TIM

Although I am morally opposed to using the point for anything but slices, I'd try them (and probably enjoy them). :-D

Although I am morally opposed to using the point for anything but slices, I'd try them (and probably enjoy them). :-D

Using Chuckie, not Brisket. 8)

Been doin it for about 2yrs now since I joined this site
I believe Smokinoakie is the originator at least that where I got it from

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ghlight=BOINKS

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ghlight=BOINKS

Thanks---I somehow missed that thread :redface:

TIM

I think with chuck it would be good, with a brisket point it may be too much...

I remember a food show that highlighted a restaurant that made them. He cut the point into long strips and wrapped, then cut them into medallions prior to serving. Seems to be a little less work to go that route. I'm with others, chuck will be great but I can't imagine bastardizing a perfectly good point when it is perfect already.

Done em, ate em, they are good.

Out here, Phat Matt's BBQ was the first one to do it. Been a while since he first rolled them out. I find that a layer or two around a burnt end is good.

What I do is cook the point until it is almost done, then cube, wrap with bacon, add another layer of rub, and smoke again. Sauce on the side, as the bacon does best unsauced.

I've done pork butt burnt ends wrapped in bacon.
After a few hours into the cook, I sliced 1" thick sliced off the butts, seasoned them on the grill.
I let that go for a while, them I cubed them, wrapped them in bacon and smoked them some more.

The flavor was fantastic, but mine were a bit tougher than I'd like. It's hard to judge hoe long to smoke a butt when you keep cutting it up like this.
Suffice it to say that I'll be doing it again.
I did try to wrap the bacon in such a way to cover the 'burnt' part and expose as much "nekid" (unburnt) meat as possible. I didn't want the burnt to be burnt, if you understand.

Here's a few picks of the process:

Back