MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #16
el_matt
Babbling Farker

There's a mom and pop store down the street from me. They sell various sizes of belly for about $3-$3.50lb. I can get a small piece to try it out, or a whole belly to ply some magic. They also sell the cure, any amount you need.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Call, call, call some more. I found a very small local place near me that quoted me "under $2 per lb". I do have to special order a whole 35lb case and give a few days notice, but I'll have bacon for at least a month! I even talked my boss into splitting the case with me so it's not so much of a hit to my wallet.

Don't be afraid of the small guys!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #18
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean "Puffy" Coals View Post
Call, call, call some more. I found a very small local place near me that quoted me "under $2 per lb". I do have to special order a whole 35lb case and give a few days notice, but I'll have bacon for at least a month! I even talked my boss into splitting the case with me so it's not so much of a hit to my wallet.

That's a great deal!!! Heck, who can't use 35 lbs of bacon???

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #19
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean "Puffy" Coals View Post

I would buy 35 pounds for that price in heart beat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
You should be able to find curing salt, if not, order Morton's tenderquick online. You'll need the tenderquick plus whatever spices you decide

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Thanks, that's the plan I think unless I can find an equivalent around here. Pork belly is cheap from my local butchers.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
GARNAAL
is one Smokin' Farker

Default check your butchers in the local Chines Grocery stores..

I always get my fresh pork in the Chinese grocery stores here in Houston (Hong Kong etc..)

bonesless shouders run ~ $2.10
Skin on, nice meaty Bellies ~ $ 2.19
Boneless fresh ham ~ $2.25..

Old 11-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #22
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Locally, $16 per kilo

Old 11-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #23
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I bought a case of 3 full pork bellys (about 30-35 ish pounds) last year for $2.19/lb.

No way I was gonna pay the full retail price of fully processed bacon for the same stuff they make it out of!

"Creative shopping around" is the key, just like with many meats.

TIM

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #24
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Picked up 10 lbs for 3.50/lb today. If my bacon turns out good, I will then try to get a case for a reduced price. I went to an asian market and they had sliced and chunks of belly, but I couldn't find any one who spoke English to ask about whole bellies.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #25
RL Reeves Jr
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksedona View Post
i hear there is a shortage of pork especial;y with china buying up alot of pork,this is also due to the drought over the summer causing grain prices to go up-feeding pigs has become expensive
If you've got an Asian mkt in your area they might have a better price. Here in Austin I pay a buck 79 a pound for a ten pounder.
RL Reeves Jr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
Patrickkva
On the road to being a farker

In the DC area you might want to look in the Latin American supermarkets (mercados). Best Way & El Eden have skin on pork bellies at decent prices. My Spanish is horrible, but I've had luck getting large bellies from both places.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blazing Blue Thermapen[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#2e8b57]BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]
MABA Member
Patrickkva is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #27
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

I know we have a Spanish grocery store here in town. I will have to check with them. I am not sure about the Asian supermarket. It seems like we might one if them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #28
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickkva View Post
In the DC area you might want to look in the Latin American supermarkets (mercados). Best Way & El Eden have skin on pork bellies at decent prices. My Spanish is horrible, but I've had luck getting large bellies from both places.
Great info!! Thanks.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #29
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Ditto on the Asian markets.
I can get it locally for ~2.29lb with skin on.

Same price in California at the Asian markets as it was in Georgia.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #30
chrischandler71
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Thanks guys!!! I found it at a local Hispanic Grocery for 1.99lb.. The guy said they carry it all the time. I am stoked to not have to pay 3.79lb! I was wondering though, do these Hispanic markets have pass meat inspections.. I would think so, just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk