MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Default My first tri-tip

I've been wanting to try tri-tip for a while, and finally got around to it last night. It isn't easy to find around here, but Costco carries them and I picked one up over the weekend. I went with just salt, pepper, and a little garlic for this one so that I could taste the meat.

I started it out on the traeger until the IT was 128

Then I threw it on the smokey joe to get a nice sear on it.

I let it rest for about 15 minutes. Next time, I think I need to go a little longer, but it was still good and somewhere between MR and medium.

This is a really good cut in my opinion and didn't need anything other thant the salt, pepper, and garlic. Sandwiches today for lunch were even better. My wife thought it was pretty close to filet mignon, her favorite cut. My question, particularly to you CA guys, does anyone cut their tritip into individual steaks and just cook them like a filet? It seems like it would work fine and save some money. Thanks for making me "tri" this, and thanks for looking

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Great looking tips.

You said you wanted to take them to a higher temp.. I'd never think of it. They're better @ medium rare, no more. Your temp seemed to be right on. You might try tenting them in foil for at least 30 minutes after pulling off the cooker. That allows the meat to continue cooking a bit and the juices to redistribute. It's hard to tell by your pics, but they look more medium than medium rare by my computer screen.

Oh, and IMO, cutting up a tri tip for steaks is sacrilege, and should get you sent to the wood pile straight away! Every time I see TT steaks in a store I shake my head as I'm walking away. It does help to turn off prospective TT purchasers if their only experience is in steak form though :) Might help to keep the price down.....less demand and all.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-28-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Nice beef!!

This won't be your last tri-tip I'm sure. I, also, wouldn't take temps much higher...I tend to shoot for mid to low 140's after the sear myself.

I like the individual strips/steaks I find in the grocery store...for chili!!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

That looks great. DON'T over cook it. If some people want it Med - Well, pop thier slices in the microwave for a min. BTW all I use is salt n pepper and a little celery salt. Tri-Tip is the best.
UDS, Yellow 22", 2008 Weber Ranch, SS Blue Performer, 18" Blue Platinum, Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 03:19 AM   #5
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looking juicy Wrench!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #6
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Great looking tips.

You said you wanted to take them to a higher temp.. I'd never think of it.
I actually just meant that next time I would let them rest a little longer, not cook any longer. They were cooked the way I wanted them, but I don't think I let the juices settle completly as eveidenced by the cutting board, sorry for the confusion.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
deguerre

Those look aweful! You should have sent them to me for immediate and proper disposal.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

Great job. I'm a big proponent of Tri-Tip here on the East Coast.
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Those look very nice!!! The only time I cut the one's I get into strips is when the wife and I want teriyaki beef. I like the extra surface area for more carmelization!
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #10
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Those look GREAT! Really glad you had a chance to try this fine cut of beef.

I usually pull mine at 135 and let rest at least 20 mins or so before slicing.

As others have suggested, I would not cut a tri tip into individual steaks. However, on a few occasions I've cut them in two by slicing the point off, and frozen them for future use. Worked out great for smaller portions:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=98983
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
Dragonfly
Full Fledged Farker

This looks tasty, I have always wanted to try Tri-tip, but have not been able to find it in West Texas.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
destefanorm
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Those look good. I think I will stop at the butcher today and grab some.
destefanorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
jaybo
Got rid of the matchlight.

Dragonfly, there are plenty of tri-tips in New Mexico. C'mon over!

Tris are a favorite of my wife and me. I generally cook them on my Egg over semi-indirect heat (GrillMates) and let them rest about ten minutes before we eat them.
jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I did my tri at a comp last week at 450 til 121 IT, tented for 20 with butter baste on it. Took 3rd place and it was super tasty.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #15
RustyGrill
Knows what a fatty is.

I have to cook to maybe 140* to make the wife and kids happy (), but I find I have to let it sit 20-30 minutes or so. Garlic, seasalt, and pepper is all I typically use on it. Awesome cut of meat in it own right, but for the $2.99/lb I usually find it for, you just can't beat it.
RustyGrill is offline   Reply With Quote