Smoking port butt half way...finishing in oven a few days later?

bbrewster

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I figure this isn't a new question, but I want to smoke a large pork shoulder about half way one day and finish in an oven a few days latter. I will be at a family reunion and I can't bring my smoker with. But I will have access to an oven. I have read threads were it says to smoke completely and then boil the meat in a bag...but what about finishing it in the oven 48 hours later?

My main concern would be some sort of bacteria buildup during that idle time.

...I defer to the experts!

No. The meat will most likely spoil. Get up early that morning and smoke it, or stay up late that night and smoke it. If it's not already foiled when you remove it, foil it then. Set it in a cooler (warmer actually) and wrap it in clean cotton towels, t-shirts, etc. The less air space the better. It'll stay piping hot for MANY hours.

Smoke it until it's completely done, pull it and put it in the fridge. On the day of the party, reheat in a foil pan in the oven covered in aluminum foil. To the foil pan, I add a little sauce and water or AJ and cook for 1 hour at 400º in the oven. About half way through, remove the foil, mix and return to the oven. Family loves it and it's easier to do it the day before.

You have 2 chioces - cook it all the way the day of and serve fresh, or cook it all the way a few ways before and reheat. Either way you need to completly cook it the first time through - no half way cooking.

Back