Favorite wood for pizza?

NorcalBBQer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What do you gentleman feel is the best wood to give your pizza that perfect taste. Pecan, Hickory? I've got some world class wine infused oak on hand, will that work just as well?

I cook my pizza on the egg with lump only, no added smoking wood. It gives just a hint of smokiness without overpowering it.

Most traditional pizza cooked in a wood fired oven is cooked at extremely high temps (700-900+) and are cooked from 2-4 minutes... Given the such short cook times, and extremely clean burns as it's mainly coals at this point, there really isn't that much time for smoke to absorb into the dough & cheese enough to make a noticeable difference between oak, cherry etc in either a good or bad way.

From what I know, white oak is the wood of choice (assuming you mean a wood fire, not charcoal + wood for smoke). Apparently the "rules" for Neapolitan pizza stipulate a cook time <2mins (90 seconds I think), so there isn't much time for absorbing smoke flavor as stated above.

But that doesn't mean we can't experiment!!

I am on the same page as the guys above, for pizzas I only use the lump. It picks up a little char flavor but the rest of the ingredients are the predominants, not smoke.

Back