MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
patkline9999
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Opinions on my practice Chicken Turn in box

Hello, I'm practicing my chicken and here is my practice box from yesterday . If there are any judges out there who would help me out and give opinions, critique, and/or suggestions I would appreciate the tips.

Also, I have the bite-through skin but it's sort of rubbery ... Can someone tell me which is better , bite-through, or crispy? I can't seem to get both !
thanks
patkline9999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I would try to get the sizes more consistent with each other. I really like the color. When folks say bite through skin, they mean it is very soft so your teeth will bite right through not crispy. I think of KFC when people say crispy.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I agree with Rich, the pieces aren't uniform, so it takes away from the overall appearance. The color is good, so is the glaze. Try to trim off the bone ends and little obtrusions from the ends of the pieces, too.

The garnish is a little sloppy and that could make the difference is a tight competition. Try for even edges no stems showing.

As far as skin, I think going for crispy is a waste of time. Once you close the box the chicken is in a steamy environment for about 10 minutes, maybe more if you are at the beginning of the window, so that steam would kill any crispiness. But that's just my opinion.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
carlyle
is one Smokin' Farker

I think that both Rich and Ron L have good constructive comments. And I agree with

them.

Bite through is my preference when I am judging. I want to get a good taste of the skin, but having the whole skin come off in the bite is not going to improve the score.

Ron L's comment about steam in the box makes good sense.

I really like the color and glaze. Want to reach in and grab one.

You are on the right track. Thanks for having the courage to put your work out there for feedback.

This kind of thread helps both cooks and judges.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
parrdist
Full Fledged Farker

The best I can tell is if someone ever masters both bite through and crispy, they will rule the chicken world. Looks very good ,makes me want one.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

The two middle pieces, if you could clone either of those in to a total of six pieces I think it would be a great box.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
patkline9999
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the good comments and critiques. I think the center left piece is the best one ... so I guess I try to find 6 like that ...everybody agree? Again, thanks. I am working on pork box today ..will make a separate post and hopefully get input on that one.
patkline9999 is offline   Reply With Quote