MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #61
Seymour Butts
Knows what a fatty is.

Whew!!!!!
Seymour Butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #62
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpInSmoke67 View Post
haha, i love this place!!
I know, I know, LOL

I think the topic sort of what NON BBQ items have you put on your smoker that were Excellent.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #63
Ron5442
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I seems to me that we are faced with the “problem” that English is a living and growing language. Clamor was once a kind of sword, now it’s expanded to include kind of explosive. Corvette was once a kind of military ship, now it’s expanded to include a kind of car. Mercedes was once a proper name for a girl, now it’s also expanded to include a kind of car, green was once just a color, now it’s expanded to include a movement and a life style. Barbeque may very well once have been just about pork (I don’t know, I wasn’t there); but, it seems to me that it has expanded beyond that.
Ron5442 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 10:13 PM   #64
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am going with Big Al's definition, except substituting my smoker for his.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #65
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron5442 View Post
I seems to me that we are faced with the “problem” that English is a living and growing language. Clamor was once a kind of sword, now it’s expanded to include kind of explosive. Corvette was once a kind of military ship, now it’s expanded to include a kind of car. Mercedes was once a proper name for a girl, now it’s also expanded to include a kind of car, green was once just a color, now it’s expanded to include a movement and a life style. Barbeque may very well once have been just about pork (I don’t know, I wasn’t there); but, it seems to me that it has expanded beyond that.
One look at Spanish as a language and we know that languages evolve, and the BIGGEST influence of how it is used and adapted and morphed is the impact of the people that use it have on it.

English on the other hand is a non-romance language that wants desperately to be one.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #66
swamprb

I'm gotta go watch the Primal Grill 2009 episodes before the OL deletes them from the DVR. You guys battle it out! Will check in later when when I need a reality check.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #67
Fastball
Full Fledged Farker

I'm not afraid to say it....Donnie is my hero.

Oh....and I like the McRib. I don't know what it is.....but it's the kind of thing that I'll eat on Superbowl Sunday along with wings, nachos and pizza rolls.

And then crap like a goose the next day.
Homemade Cabinet Smoker..AKA "The Contraption"...AKA "Mr. Potatohead"
J&R Mfg Combo Broiler w/ Rotisserie
Weber 22.5 kettle
Char-Broil Gasser
Old Beat-up Off-brand Kettle Grill
Fastball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #68
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

My point is just as I have stated.

BBQ is an act, a verb. For a couple of hundred years when people said let's eat BBQ, they meant pulled pork. I guess you could say that they were wrong using the term in that manner. I am not really arguing that. I am just saying that traditionally, BBQ is pork. Only in the past few decades has BBQ been anything other than that. Not so hard to grasp really.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #69
ksblues
Got Wood.

Classic! Is there anything you can't smoke? Though, in a state of mind influenced by the agave plant, I made the horrible mistake of trying one of the Mac n Don's Supper Club's new Angus (cough cough) burgers. So wrong. Really, Even in my "condition," I couldn't finish it.

Blog: [URL="http://bbqbeat.com"]The BBQ Beat [/URL]- Full On Competition BBQ, BBQ and Grilling Tips, BBQ News, Views, and Reviews

Facebook: [URL="http://www.facebook.com/thebbqbeat"]http://www.facebook.com/smokinbbq[/URL]

Google+
[URL="https://www.google.com/+Bbqbeatpage"]https://www.google.com/+Bbqbeatpage[/URL]
ksblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #70
spacingtool
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan View Post

BBQ is an act, a verb. For a couple of hundred years when people said let's eat BBQ, they meant pulled pork. I guess you could say that they were wrong using the term in that manner. I am not really arguing that. I am just saying that traditionally, BBQ is pork. Only in the past few decades has BBQ been anything other than that. Not so hard to grasp really.
this guy !!!
spacingtool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #71
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

I am not a greenhorn. I am not new to this at all. It is wrong to make the assumption that just because I recently happened across this forum that I just started cooking using traditional methods. I have simply just started using the UDS. Previously, we always built pits temporarily. Cinder blocks, tin and re bar. Works great, labor intensive but easy and cheap. So not a greenhorn. You should stop with the personal attacks. Most of what I have stated is history. Most of what I keep getting back is opinion. They don't mix well.

I didn't get all my knowledge from the internet either and I resent the insinuation. Records from the first Spanish forays into the new world are housed at the University of Florida at Gainesville. You can get access to them if you have a scholarly interest I am sure. I had someone who was functional in 16th century Spanish translate some things for me several years back while I was working on a Native American history project for the local university.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:42 AM   #72
ksblues
Got Wood.

Quote:
I am not a greenhorn. I am not new to this at all. It is wrong to make the assumption that just because I recently happened across this forum that I just started cooking using traditional methods. I have simply just started using the UDS. Previously, we always built pits temporarily. Cinder blocks, tin and re bar. Works great, labor intensive but easy and cheap. So not a greenhorn. You should stop with the personal attacks. Most of what I have stated is history. Most of what I keep getting back is opinion. They don't mix well.

I didn't get all my knowledge from the internet either and I resent the insinuation. Records from the first Spanish forays into the new world are housed at the University of Florida at Gainesville. You can get access to them if you have a scholarly interest I am sure. I had someone who was functional in 16th century Spanish translate some things for me several years back while I was working on a Native American history project for the local university.
Amen - we're all here to share and learn. Nice to see another FL presence by the way!

Blog: [URL="http://bbqbeat.com"]The BBQ Beat [/URL]- Full On Competition BBQ, BBQ and Grilling Tips, BBQ News, Views, and Reviews

Facebook: [URL="http://www.facebook.com/thebbqbeat"]http://www.facebook.com/smokinbbq[/URL]

Google+
[URL="https://www.google.com/+Bbqbeatpage"]https://www.google.com/+Bbqbeatpage[/URL]
ksblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 12:43 AM   #73
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:

Please stop repeating the same old stale statement and provide us with some references. You know, real books and/or other accepted authorities as others have done that support your statements, not simple repetition of something that apparently, judging from the complete lack of folks willing to back you up here, is only in your particular belief system.

If it is traditional, as you have repeatedly stated, surely you can back that up with some authoritative facts that don't scream "I told you, so therefore it must be true". You aren't old enough to speak of a 300 year old tradition from personal experience; show us the facts if you want us to change our minds.
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #74
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksblues View Post
Amen - we're all here to share and learn. Nice to see another FL presence by the way!
Thanks I'm not in Florida anymore, I'm back in SC now. But if I couldn't be here, I would love to be there.

Zydeco,
Are Webster's Dictionary and the Oxford English dictionary not real books? See this is why I think this is a gang up party. You must not have even read what I posted earlier. Seems like you're just jumping on the bandwagon. I have presented facts and their sources.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #75
BBQ Grail

Some people make quite the first impression!

(I'm sorry, but snarky is all I've got right now)

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote