MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Sgt93
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Is this thread helping people set up their systems? Would love to see some user feedback before ordering.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
Grant968
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt93 View Post
Is this thread helping people set up their systems? Would love to see some user feedback before ordering.
mine is working great, all except infrastructure-mode. It is not automatic like adhoc, and I don't have time to allocate to futzing around now.
Grant968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
Sgt93

That's what I am wanting to hear from people the most (infrastructure-mode). Half tempted to just get the DXII for $279 and be done. Really want the CyberQ WiFi though, just wish it was less labor intensive.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #19
WooPig

Many thanks to you!! I finally got it. One problem I ended up having was I upgraded my router. For some reason, my Cyberq would not "handshake" with my router in WPA2 encryption. I finally got it going in WPA. No idea why, but it's going. Finally got the port forward as well. Thanks again to all that helped.
WooPig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
WooPig

Thank ya'll so much for helping me get my CyberQ up and running. Just one other question. Is the port forwarding to ports 80 secure at all. I know it would just be some moron hacker trying to burn my brisket :), but just wondering if there was a more secure way. Someone at work mention setting up static address? Or using a website called dynamicdns.com? Do you know anything about this?

Again thanks so much. Was able to adjust my Egg while out running around town the other day....pretty cool stuff!

Old 06-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #21
North Is Up
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooPig View Post
Thank ya'll so much for helping me get my CyberQ up and running. Just one other question. Is the port forwarding to ports 80 secure at all. I know it would just be some moron hacker trying to burn my brisket :), but just wondering if there was a more secure way. Someone at work mention setting up static address? Or using a website called dynamicdns.com? Do you know anything about this?

Again thanks so much. Was able to adjust my Egg while out running around town the other day....pretty cool stuff!
Your pretty CyberQ Wifi is sitting out on the Internet waiting for some hacker to turn off the warning beeps and dial it up to 425 degrees. There's no password to view the unit, as you know. Therefore, anyone passing by can see it and that's the problem with the current state of the CyberQ Wifi. No security. So, when you turned on port forwarding it opens it up to the Internet, vice just seeing it on your private home network.

A static won't help in this case. It's a different subject, same for dynamic DNS. What those two things do is allow you to find the router, and hence your CyberQ Wifi, using a name like http://glenshire.dyndns.org (test it - it's someone's Samsung DVR) or something similar, vice remembering your public IP address. Dynamic DNS changes the IP numbers to a more-familiar name. You can register an account at http://dyn.com/dns/. It used to be free, but now they charge $20 per year. Your Internet provider may change your IP address regularly, so you won't be able to find your router IP address without looking it up again. Dynamic DNS or a static IP makes it possible to find your router.

Hope this helps.
North Is Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #22
WooPig

Thanks again North. Thats what I figured as far as security. I guess I'll gamble on someone burning up my brisket. Maybe they will do a software update at some point to fix this issue.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #23
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Is Up View Post
Your pretty CyberQ Wifi is sitting out on the Internet waiting for some hacker to turn off the warning beeps and dial it up to 425 degrees. There's no password to view the unit, as you know. Therefore, anyone passing by can see it and that's the problem with the current state of the CyberQ Wifi. No security. So, when you turned on port forwarding it opens it up to the Internet, vice just seeing it on your private home network.

A static won't help in this case. It's a different subject, same for dynamic DNS. What those two things do is allow you to find the router, and hence your CyberQ Wifi, using a name like http://glenshire.dyndns.org (test it - it's someone's Samsung DVR) or something similar, vice remembering your public IP address. Dynamic DNS changes the IP numbers to a more-familiar name. You can register an account at http://dyn.com/dns/. It used to be free, but now they charge $20 per year. Your Internet provider may change your IP address regularly, so you won't be able to find your router IP address without looking it up again. Dynamic DNS or a static IP makes it possible to find your router.

Hope this helps.
http://afraid.org allows free ddns usage.

They also offer a free pointer when your IP changes, it will redirect the traffic to the newly assigned IP address. It runs in the background of any computer connected to the router to detect any changes, or if you have flashed your router with Tomato Firmware, your router will handle the updates to the IP address.

I use this service to forward my remote camera systems for clients who want to watch their businesses from outside.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #24
SoonerChris
Found some matches.

Worked perfectly on the first try. Thanks. These instructions should go in the manual, not whats in there. This is much more informational and much better written.
SoonerChris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #25
North Is Up
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Arnie

For security reasons, I have decided to purchase and use Splashtop for Android to connect from my phone to my home PC when the home PC is left on for "monitoring"the CyberQ Wifi via a web page. In that manner, I don't expose the wide open CyberQ Wifi to the Internet directly. The Spashtop product is available for iPhones, tablets, PCs and Macs. For me, I run the streamer on my home computer and the remote desktop app on my Droid. Splashtop is the name of the company and just add .com to get to their web page.

Here's an important plus for this product. If you have a Gmail account, you can put your Google info on the phone and your home PC and then Splashtop finds your PC for you. You don't have to worry about DDNS or remembering IPs or anything. It just finds it over local Wifi or 3G. I don't have 4G to test it with and I didn't test it at work using just Wifi.

Furthermore, if you have a PC at work, for instance, and you want to view your home PC and monitor and control the Wifi unit, Spashtop Remote Desktop is free for non-commercial usage. The Mac version isn't free, nor are the phone versions. It works, and I'm excited. The home PC becomes another window on your work computer that you can close, move around or resize. Also, it can save your log on password, so you that you don't have to enter it every time upon connecting, although I don't use that on my phone. Passwords have to have some complexity to them, so it's not just 4 digits that I feel can get hacked. I feel that there's good security here.

I have no affiliation with Spashtop except for being a new happy user who watched from work yesterday as my brisket slowly cooked at home.

Anyhow, it works perfectly for me and is easier and more secure than setting up the CyberQ Wifi for port forwarding.

To anyone who is using port forwarding. Has your CyberQ Wifi been hacked during a cook?
North Is Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #26
flashflood
Found some matches.

Quote:
To anyone who is using port forwarding. Has your CyberQ Wifi been hacked during a cook?
So far, no, and I think it's unlikely. Hackers are generally looking for either a challenge (which this isn't), or a hated target (like a politician's web site). It just wouldn't be seen as cool to deliberately ruin another man's brisket.

BTW, thanks for all the kind comments on this thread -- I'm glad it's been helpful.
flashflood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 05:34 AM   #27
Grant968
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
For security reasons, I have decided to purchase and use Splashtop for Android to connect from my phone to my home PC when the home PC is left on for "monitoring"the CyberQ Wifi via a web page. ...
Is your Windows PC accessing the CyberQ WiFi via its Adhoc? If so then your PC would not be connected to the Internet. Or do you have the PC connected to both adhoc and Internet. Please explain how you set up.
Thanks
Grant968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #28
Planenut
Found some matches.

When I get back home, assuming I figure it out, I plan on posting a how to for the AT&T 2WIRE modems/router. Wish me luck.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #29
MelvinDisco
Got rid of the matchlight.

wanted to add this here--started a new post with it last night...

Hello all-

First time poster here; I've had a BGE for a few years now, and just got my CyberQ Wifi today. Like many, I've been frustrated with trying to get the wi-fi functionality up and running.

In adhoc mode, I have no problems connecting to the cyberq network with my iphone and viewing the webpage. However, on both my Mac laptop and Mac desktop, I can join the cyberq network (listed in each as a "device"), but i cannot view the webpage as the connection always times out. I'm making sure that i'm trying to connect these devices one at a time, so it's not an issue of multiple calls to the cyber-q webserver.

The FAR more frustrating thing is that I have the EXACT same Verizon router setup that the user manual provides as an example for infrastructure setup, and I simply cannot get a handshake between the router and the cyberq. It's not a distance issue, as I have the two things all of two feet apart from one another. Can anyone possibly offer a bit of advice? My other wireless devices connect to an airport express that's set up as a bridge, but i confirmed that i'm able to connect each those devices directly to the wireless network.

I'm at my wit's end...
MelvinDisco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #30
The_French_Man
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Smile Perfect help!

Hello,

Thanks for the information. It did the trick seting uo my new CyberQ wifi to in the infrastructure mode. Work like a charm.

Once again thank you.

J
The_French_Man is offline   Reply With Quote