• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

CyberQ Wifi Setup Guide

flashflood

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi gang,

I see that a lot of folks have had trouble getting their CyberQ Wifi to work in Infrastructure Mode. The instructions that come with the unit are not as clear as they could be, so I've put together what is hopefully a very straightforward step-by-step guide for new users.

---------------------------------------

Here's how to get your CyberQ Wifi on the internet if you have a cable or DSL modem and an Apple Airport Extreme wireless base station. You may be able to adapt this recipe to other network setups, but I can only vouch for this one.

If you have a different setup that you've gotten to work, please feel free to copy and modify these instructions, and post what you've learned.

(1) Read all of these instructions before actually doing anything.
If your home network is not exactly like mine, all bets are off.
If anything goes wrong, post here and I will help if I can,
but I can't promise anything.

(2) Power on your new CyberQ. It will come up in Ad Hoc networking mode.

(3) The CyberQ will beep at you because there aren't any probes plugged in.
Press the round button to make it shut up.

(4) On your computer, join the CyberQ's wifi network. Password 1234abcdef.

(5) In your browser, go to http://192.168.101.10/wifi.htm
This is the CyberQ's Wifi Setup page.

(6) Write down the MAC Address.

(7) On your computer, rejoin your home network.

(8) Under Applications/Utilities, open Airport Utility, click on the
picture of the Airport, click "Edit", then select "Networks".

(9) "Router Mode" should be "DHCP and NAT". If it isn't, stop now.

(10) Under "DHCP Reservations", click "+" to add. Specify whatever name
you want for your CyberQ Wifi, enter its MAC address from step 6,
and pick an IPv4 address for DHCP to reserve -- I chose 10.0.1.123.

(11) Under "Port Mapping", click "+" to add. Specify whatever name and
IP address you chose in step 10, and enter 80 for all the ports.

(12) Click "Update", which will power-cycle your Airport so that
all of these settings take effect. Wait for this to complete.

(13) On your computer, join the CyberQ's wifi network again.

(14) In your browser, return to http://192.168.101.10/wifi.htm
Change the following five things:

(a) Set "WIFI Mode" to "Infrastructure"
(b) Set "DHCP Client" to "On"
(c) Set "SSID" to the name of your home network
(d) Set "Encryption" to whatever your home network uses, e.g. WPA2
(Note: If your password is a hexadecimal number, specify WPA2;
if your password is a phrase, like classof1982, specify WPA2,Phrase.)
(e) Set "Key" to your home network's password.

(15) Click "Submit".

(16) Unplug the CyberQ. This is necessary for your settings to take effect.

(17) Power on the CyberQ.
Note: it may say "NO NETWORK" on the LCD screen even when things
are working, because it takes a moment to find and join your network.

(18) On your computer, rejoin your home network.

(19) The moment of truth: in your browser, go to the IP address you chose
in step 10. If everything is working, you'll see the CyberQ main page.

(20) The even more important moment of truth: in Google, type "ip".
The first result will be your public IP address, which is what you
need to access your CyberQ over the internet (as opposed to just
over your home network). Go to that IP address in your browser.
You should see the same page as in step 19.

(21) Bookmark that page unless you're good at remembering random IP addresses.

That's it! Note that if you don't have a static IP address from your ISP, your public IP address may change from time to time, so I would suggest two things: (1) if you're at home, use your private IP address from step 10; (2) if you're going to be out and about, determine your current public IP address before you leave home, and enter this into your iPhone's browser. Once you leave home, there is no way to determine your home's IP address!

Hope this helps,

- flashflood

I appreciate you posting this; however, I am obviously completely ignorant to port forwarding. I've been working on this for a week and can still not get it set up right. I've talked with several geeks and they have yet to explain it in an idiots language.

I've got my Guru up and running in Infrastructure with help of some on here. I also set up a static IP on my computer (one of the geeks told me I needed to do this). I thought I set a port forward up correctly, but now I'm lost. Any furthur help would be greatly appreciated. Your info posted is for MACs...I'm running Windows 7. Linksys Router. Also can't quite figure out the MAC address entry your talking about.

WooPig: Flashflood's info about finding out your public IP address is a good tip. Then, use your phone with the wifi turned completely off to access the CyberQ Wifi based on the public address. You need to use your carrier's data plan for this. In the browser of the phone, type in that public IP address and you should see your CyberQ Wifi if you set up port forwarding correctly. If you use your phone's wifi in your house, you won't be able to tell if you set up port forwarding correctly because it will pick up the wifi signal and probably use that first to connect.

Question about port forwarding: Did you set up the IP of the CyberQ wifi to be static or reserved (meaning the router always gives it the same IP address)? That's what you need, not your computer to be static. Your phone will be getting the web page from your CyberQ Wifi, not your computer. Your computer is completely out of the picture here and can be turned off for setting up and cooking.

Also, for the static address of the CyberQ Wifi, are you now forwarding all web requests (aka port 80) traffic to it? That step will connect your public address to the private address of the CyberQ Wifi. Any traffic that comes in from the Internet on port 80 will be "port forwarded" to the CyberQ Wifi. Hence, it's called port forwarding.

I'm 4th an inches from ordering this. Thanks for posting this.

Actually North, I'm to the point where I have no idea what I'm doing. I've never had any problem with gadgets till it came to accessing the CyberQ outside my network. The whole port forwarding is just out of my league. I really want this to work...

All the IP's on my CyberQ are all default right now. And again, I have no idea what any of them mean. Which one I need to use or change?

You helped out a lot in the other thread with getting me up and running in infrastructure. Appreciate that by the way.

WooPig: I know that you're in Infrastructure mode. What is the IP address of the CyberQ Wifi and what is the IP address of your router? Only the last number should be different. That's what I'm checking for. Can you see the CyberQ Wifi from your computer or phone at this time?

I'll try to work with you setting up your port forwarding. What exact model Linksys do you have?

So, I need the IP of your CyberQ Wifi and the Linksys and the model of Linksys. Can you also check your public address the way that FlashFlood suggested. Go to Google and type in
IP
in the search box and press enter. You'll see something like, "Your public IP address is 75.111.251.42". That's your public IP. Don't post that. Just make a note of it. You'll need it later.

With that info, it should be easier to assist you.

I appreciate you posting this; however, I am obviously completely ignorant to port forwarding. I've been working on this for a week and can still not get it set up right. I've talked with several geeks and they have yet to explain it in an idiots language.

I've got my Guru up and running in Infrastructure with help of some on here. I also set up a static IP on my computer (one of the geeks told me I needed to do this). I thought I set a port forward up correctly, but now I'm lost. Any furthur help would be greatly appreciated. Your info posted is for MACs...I'm running Windows 7. Linksys Router. Also can't quite figure out the MAC address entry your talking about.

Well, I'll give it a shot.

First, the term MAC Address is unfortunate: it has nothing to do with Apple Mac computers, it's an acronym for Media Access Control. For all practical purposes it is synonymous with Ethernet Address. It is typically written as six colon-separated, 2-digit hexadecimal numbers, like 00:1f:c3:08:fd:a9. Every network-capable device on earth has a unique MAC Address. (This is unfortunately not true of IPv4 addresses, which is one of the main reasons networking is so complicated. IPv6 fixes this, but it will probably take 10-20 years plus an act of congress (literally, like they did with analog TV a few years ago) to kill off IPv4.) Anyway... your CyberQ Wifi's MAC Address is the first item on its Wifi setup page.

Second, ports. A computer typically has only one IP address, yet it can have all sorts of different network activity -- mail, web browsing, etc. These are classified into "ports", which are just numbers. For example, the SMTP mail protocol is port 25, secure shell is port 22, and HTTP (the web) is port 80.

The internet is full of spam and viruses and crap, so life would be hell if any 14-year-old with a computer could send anything he wanted to your IP address. To prevent that, your router/modem acts as a firewall and throws away tons of unsolicited internet traffic before it even gets to your computer. One of the simplest forms of internet traffic filtering is by port: you can accept or reject traffic based on the destination port number. For example, if you don't want anyone to be able to connect to your computer via secure shell, you can simply disable port 22.

To enable your cell phone to talk to the CyberQ on your home network, your router has to allow this particular kind of traffic. This is what port forwarding means: you're telling your router, "if you see unsolicited traffic on port 80, instead of throwing it away, forward it to this particular device" -- in our case, the CyberQ.

I can't speak to the specifics of Windows 7 or the Linksys router, but this is the concept behind what you're trying to accomplish.

Screen snapshots would go a long way toward diffusing this issue, with precaution to black out the sensitive bits.

If there remains an aversion to public posting, the perhaps a PM. I would definately appreciate. I have a new Linksys EA4500, and use iPhone, iPad, and MS Windows.

OK. Pictures. Keep a few things in mind. In simplest terms, your internal addresses, whether they be in the 10.0.0.0 or 192.168.100.0 or even 172.16.0.0 range, those cannot be seen on the Internet ever. They are not routable and when you computer needs to go to this web site or any other web site, only the public address of the router is seen. In that manner, there can be millions of users with the same internal address 10.0.0.1, as an example, but when it's on the public Internet, it has to be a unique address or number. Your router's publilc address is a unique number assigned to your little network.

Another important concept on the Internet is ports. Computers transfer data to each other over ports. A web server "listens" and "talks" via port 80. Other ports are used for other kinds of traffic such as file transfers and gaming. We're only concerned with port 80 at this time for the CyberQ Wifi.

I mention these as the background because what we're trying to do with port forwarding is make the CyberQ Wifi available on the public Internet so that you can see it from work or wherever. However, we need to somehow get the non-routable private address (10.0.0.20 in my case) that you have on the CyberQ Wifi and make it public. That's what port forwarding does. A public request comes in from you at work and your router sees that port 80 traffic and forwards it to the CyberQ Wifi to handle.

Let's get started.

1. Get your public IP. That's what you're going use to find your router/CyberQ Wifi on the Internet. Keep this number in mind. Mine public IP is 75.111.xxx.yyy, where I've hidden the x and y values. x and y values could each be up to 255.
PF1.jpg
to

2. Find out the address of your CyberQ Wifi on your local area network or LAN. You can check the settings on the CyberQ, or you can look at your router and see. On my network, I clicked on LAN on the left and you see the window on the right. My CyberQ Wifi is 10.0.0.20.

PF2.jpg

3. Now, we have to do port forwarding so that the CyberQ Wifi (10.0.0.20) is visible on the Internet at http://75.111.xxx.yyy (remember that the real numbers will have to be inserted in there in place of the x's and y's.

So, I click on Port Forwarding/Port Triggering on the left side and you see what's there on the right side. I choose HTTP as the service that I want to port forward and I select 10.0.0.20 (the CyberQ Wifi) to be the recipient of any HTTP traffic. HTTP is the same as web traffic is the same as port 80, so your router say web or port 80, but just know that it's the same.

As soon as I click on Add, I'll be able to go to my work computer and type in http://75.111.xxx.yyy and I'll be able to see my CyberQ Wifi. Maybe it would be clearer is it were called "traffic forwarding" instead of port forwarding. When the router receives port 80 traffic (the default port for web traffic), it will forward that traffic to the CyberQ Wifi.
PF3.jpg

Hope this helps.

Your guys dedication to this thread and helpfulness earns 5 stars. Thanks you!

Excellent job on the documentation. It has answered questions I have been wondering about. I am hoping to have mine by the end of the month. Thanks again for taking the time to document all of this.

Is this thread helping people set up their systems? Would love to see some user feedback before ordering.

Is this thread helping people set up their systems? Would love to see some user feedback before ordering.
mine is working great, all except infrastructure-mode. It is not automatic like adhoc, and I don't have time to allocate to futzing around now.

That's what I am wanting to hear from people the most (infrastructure-mode). Half tempted to just get the DXII for $279 and be done. Really want the CyberQ WiFi though, just wish it was less labor intensive.

Many thanks to you!! I finally got it. One problem I ended up having was I upgraded my router. For some reason, my Cyberq would not "handshake" with my router in WPA2 encryption. I finally got it going in WPA. No idea why, but it's going. Finally got the port forward as well. Thanks again to all that helped.

Thank ya'll so much for helping me get my CyberQ up and running. Just one other question. Is the port forwarding to ports 80 secure at all. I know it would just be some moron hacker trying to burn my brisket :), but just wondering if there was a more secure way. Someone at work mention setting up static address? Or using a website called dynamicdns.com? Do you know anything about this?

Again thanks so much. Was able to adjust my Egg while out running around town the other day....pretty cool stuff!

Back