Question About KCBS Judging Classes

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I know that KCBS will put on a judging class upon request, as long as the minimum participant quota is met.

I have also noticed that there are quite a few judging classes scheduled throughout the year.

My question is this. Are all of these done by request, or does KCBS take it upon themselves to put some of these classes on as well? If so, what do you think the ratio would be.

Thanks

Just from my knowledge I think they are always put on by request only from an organizer.

Well then it would seem that most of the organizers in the south aren't interested in having local judges. There doesn't seem to be very many classes below the Mason Dixon.

Last edited:
Q-Dat,

Maybe you should contact the organizers for Hammond or Slidell Contests to see if they would be interested in doing this. I agree that we don't have many opportunities for KCBS anything down here and I'm sure we would find enough folks interested in taking the class. My wife and I traveled to Sugar Creek, Mo to do our CBJ class. It was a pricey outing, but we made a mini vacation out of it, hit as many area BBQ places as we could around Kansas City. MMmmmm, Oklahoma Joe's!!! We stilll regret not getting to eat at the Airport Hilton Restaurant (munchin hogs at the hilton):tsk::doh:

Well then it would seem that most of the organizers in the south aren't interested in having local judges. There doesn't seem to be very many classes below the Mason Dixon.

We Northeners is a might ascared of goin that far south.
Ain't you never seen that Deliverance movie?
Ed

This is the 700 pound canary, long pole, or big issue kind of question. We don't have a lot of KCBS contests in Louisiana. Therefore, we don't have much need for judges. My wife and I have been fighting this battle for more than 5 years. We typically judge in Hammond and places in Mississippi. That is the best we can do. As the coordinator for the Louisiana BBQ Cookers Association, I know we have the participant pool for more contests. Frankly it comes down to cost.

Well I have a theory on it. I'm not saying its true, but it could be.

I think that the local organizers want to attract the big name cookers, which is understandable, because they help draw a crowd. I wonder if many of these top teams aren't more likely to sign up if they know that the judges have "seasoned" midwestern taste buds.

Having a pool of willing local judges, would make flying them in from elsewhere look bad.

We don't really have a huge KCBS presence here in Oklahoma. We have, if I recall right, 13 comps throughout the year (and Tecumseh just cancelled), and about 50 certified judges. That's why I'm holding a class in conjunction with Smokin' Up A Storm in July.

We don't really have a huge KCBS presence here in Oklahoma. We have, if I recall right, 13 comps throughout the year (and Tecumseh just cancelled), and about 50 certified judges. That's why I'm holding a class in conjunction with Smokin' Up A Storm in July.

Hahaha we have three. And thats including Sam's Club!

Matt,
I know there are more than 50 certified judges in the state of Oklahoma. In fact, next Saturday in Bixby there will be a CBJ class that the Rotary Club has put on for the last several years and it will probably graduate another 40-50. Stillwater is holding one in April which will probably be another 30-50. And there is your class which I hope will have several go though.
For my contest which is Bordertown Bash in Fort Smith AR, I can get at least 75-90 CBJs signing up with about 40% being from Oklahoma. There are plenty of judges in your area and mine. Problem is a lot of them don't sign up for contests after they have been certified for one reason or another.

I hope your class and contest are successful. Hopefully you, Bixby, and Stillwater can keep filling up the judging pool. We're going to need them over here for the Poteau, OK and Fort Smith, AR contests in October.

D. Moore

Matt,
I know there are more than 50 certified judges in the state of Oklahoma. In fact, next Saturday in Bixby there will be a CBJ class that the Rotary Club has put on for the last several years and it will probably graduate another 40-50. Stillwater is holding one in April which will probably be another 30-50. And there is your class which I hope will have several go though.
For my contest which is Bordertown Bash in Fort Smith AR, I can get at least 75-90 CBJs signing up with about 40% being from Oklahoma. There are plenty of judges in your area and mine. Problem is a lot of them don't sign up for contests after they have been certified for one reason or another.

I hope your class and contest are successful. Hopefully you, Bixby, and Stillwater can keep filling up the judging pool. We're going to need them over here for the Poteau, OK and Fort Smith, AR contests in October.

D. Moore

:doh::doh::doh: I realized a fw minutes ago that I had forgotten to select ALL judges, the search defaulted to NEW judges.

Well as of right now we have 17 on the schedule. Counting yours and not counting the cancelled contest.

Well as of right now we have 17 on the schedule. Counting yours and not counting the cancelled contest.
*sigh* Guess I was just too tired when I tried to do some research... my apologies to all. :redface:

Back