Contest Announcment People's Choice Rib Cook Off - Hickville, NY - September 17th, 2011

when we did buck a bone at the brethren, did'nt we have to sign an agreement.
health wise, because we are serving to public. Dont want to get anyone sick for the first timers. First timers ( if there any), THINK THIS
you know latex gloves, keeping the ribs warm, water. rinse sani & anything else i am missing (chime in peeps)

I see paper plates & handing out a napkin would be good.
Oh yeah, hope the RIBS ARE NOT FROZEN, like last time, but i am thinking yes
should be a few laughs, quick jam, rub, cook, eat & drink

No. Please bring your own plates, napkins, paper towels, wet naps, sterno racks, sterno trays, sternos, serving utensils, etc.

Also forgot latex or nylon gloves and wash/rinse/sani buckets.
I'm not sure but i think each team will have to sign something from the Board of Health when we get there.

early reply from the HFD, all we need to do is the three wash setup {wash,rinse,sanitize].They said that this was approved by the board of health. Remember this is Nassau co. not Brookhaven,Suffolk.Different Rules

I will call the board of health in the AM for a clarification on what is needed. They have been stretched a little thing after the hurricane so their response time is a little slow. Any other question that I need to ask them?

Sal

Unless the FD made a deal, nassau board of health still requires a handwash station aside from wash, rinse, sanitize.

a water source with locking spigot(like a 3$ water container, coffe urn, or igloo 5 gallon cooler with spigot), and a catch basin(5 gallon bucket) will do. Hand soap and paper towels.

serving area needs to be covered also, so server UNDER your ez-up.

I will call the board of health in the AM for a clarification on what is needed. They have been stretched a little thing after the hurricane so their response time is a little slow. Any other question that I need to ask them?

Sal

Sal, did you email the teams with all of the info yet?

My team mate got a phone call from them gates are open at 4am cooks meeting at 6am and 2 cases of ribs handed out thats all i got from my team mate.
ray

My team mate got a phone call from them gates are open at 4am cooks meeting at 6am and 2 cases of ribs handed out thats all i got from my team mate.
ray

same here plus captain's meeting at the 6am food distribution

1 pm food service to the public

2 pm turn in for judging

4:30 - 5 judging

I've been texting with Sal and he told me he called all the teams instead of emailing them.
Just so there's no confusion, if you're using gps, the address is 100 West Barclay St, Hicksville. The parking lot is on the South side of the street and West of the building for this address.

thanks for that update

I was just speaking to Sal and here is a little clarification on the side dishes.

They will be selling plates with the the traditional sides:

cole slaw
baked beans, and
cornbread

So please don't provide those sides with your ribs. Their idea was if you were queing or grilling something other than a side, like pulled pork or ABTs, by all means, give a sample to the folks either by toothpick or the small soufle cup.

I am not sure this was clear on this site, it will be 1 1/2 cases of ribs, but they are not sure if they will be the full spares or St Louis cut.

so

4-6 am arrive (they will be there friday night of you need to set up then)

6am capt's meeting and meat distribution

1 pm open to public

2pm turn in for judging

4:30 - 5:30 (depending on how fast the ribs are moving) awards

You may want to have a side/appertizer available just in case your ribs go too fast in the day and want to interact with the public. Again, exercise judgement to balance with not interfering with the vendors, but also making it a pleasant experience for the public, since this is to help the FD.

They will have the Town of Oyster Bay grandstand trailor for the judging and awards area.

If you are competing at this event and would like to be mentioned in Newsday, PLEASE post your team name and what town your team is from (just list one town).

And please do so quickly, this is a sort of crunch time thing.

Thanks,

Eric

Back