Doctoring Up Side Dishes

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not sure how I got wrangled into this, but I'm going to be doctoring up some pre-purchased food for the 4th of July family thing we're doing. I would have preferred to make them from scratch, but whatcha gonna do?

Any thoughts on stepping up store bought potato salad (I was thinking of adding dried mustard, bacon and hard boiled eggs) or baked beans?

Thanks,

Eric

Oh yeah, Keri's beans for sure! I took the two giant cans of Bush Beans my church had bought for a volunteer appreciation meal and made Keri's beans out of them for 120 people and they couldn't stop talking about them! Everybody thinks I'm a master chef now!

Hi,

I'm not sure how I got wrangled into this, but I'm going to be doctoring up some pre-purchased food for the 4th of July family thing we're doing. I would have preferred to make them from scratch, but whatcha gonna do?

Any thoughts on stepping up store bought potato salad (I was thinking of adding dried mustard, bacon and hard boiled eggs) or baked beans?

Thanks,

Eric

Tough to say without tasting the actual salad. Even some simple stuff like fresh parsley sprinkled on top, or maybe some chives would go a long way. I find that I can add some pepper and garlic to just about anything storebought to jazz it up.

I like to add burnt ends to my beans (like the Jackstack recipe), but any sort of meat will kick it up. Liquid smoke too if you can't get reall smoke to them.

We use celery seed in our tater salad.
My grandmother always used it in her homemade salad and we still use it today.
Some paprika on top for color is another thought.
Good luck and let us know how things turned out.

mayo or mustard potatoe salad? Besides a little paprika, you can add some sweet and dill pickle. If you want to add a little crunch or texture you can add some celery. And, as bbqbull suggested I like to add some celery seed to the top before serving.

I sprinkle rub on my potatoe salad. In a rush, you can spruce up beans with bbq sauce, chopped meat and rub.

BTW, I've become a fan of Paula Dean's potatoe salad. Starts by adding bacon grease to the water to boil the potatoes.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm gonna give that apple pie filling a shot with the beans. Sounds too crazy to not be good.

It's mayo based potato salad, btw.

Eric

If you do the Keri C beans make extra! They are the Bomb.

Along with the other things mentioned I like putting sliced jalepenos in potato salad, the pickled kind you put on nachos. But not everyone likes everything spicy like me.

I doctored up potato salad for the first time for a catering job over Memorial Day. It was the red potato salad from Sam's. I added diced celery, chopped hard boiled eggs, a little dry yellow mustard, a little vinegar, a little horseradish, and some ground black pepper. It was very good!!

If you have the time/ingredients to make Keri's beans they will be the hit of the party for sure.

If you get the red potato salad from Costco, you won't have to doctor it. Otherwise, add some yellow mustard, celery seed, cayenne and white pepper (just a little) and some sweet pickle relish.

Back