How do you pull pork

bbqwilly

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Just curious as to how people pull their pork. I know that most probably use their hands. Im interested to hear how people who cater, or cook large amounts of meat pull it.

I don't cater, but I do large cooks from time to time and I really like the insulated nitrile gloves like the one's from Steven Raichlen.

Lots of different ways, but, hands most often, bear claws sometimes. I prefer to give a very coarse chop, then smash the pieces so they shred up a little. Hands in gloves always, as it is nicer and your skin doesn't get torn up by the heat and meat.

By the tail of course!:wink:

Insulated gloves, ( pvc from harbor Freight). I like them much better than anything else I have used.

Just did 32 pork butts this past weekend and did every bit of it with a pair of cheapo jersey gloves with nitrile gloves over them.

I've had a couple pair of THESE gloves, but I kept cutting the tips of the thumbs off while slicing brisket this summer at comps and went to the jersey/nitrile gloves and have just stuck with it.

If I was JUST pulling pork or handling meat, Steph's gloves (link above) are the most dextrous I've used, but they still don't have as much feel as the jersey's for slicing ribs & brisket. They are certainly GREAT gloves though.

I've used bear claws before, but not any more. I like the "feel" and better handling I get with gloves. Never tried the power tool routine, but again....I like the feel. I prefer more a more chunkier texture than shredded pork.

Besides.......if a pork butt is properly tender enough (ie: cooked properly) it will pull in only seconds with a pair of gloved hands........:wink:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Yep cheap-o gloves.
I have some from HD that are regular gloves with nitrile coating on them.

HOWEVER if you need to shred boneless chicken (like breast) I just throw it in the Kitchen Aid with the standard batter paddle, med setting, make sure they are still HOT, and seconds later you have shredded chicken instantly.
I just googled for it and found someone else stole my idea, AND made a video of it!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ZzVrqGscQ"]Shredded Chicken in 20 Seconds - YouTube[/ame]

Black Knight 7714R-10 Gloves. I use a knife to scrape away all the unappetizing stuff that people don't like to eat like excess fat, arteries, and such.

The Ro–Man Pork Puller would be good to look into for pulling large amounts of pork butts. I also like the Meatrake!

~Jay Prince

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I prefer to use the Stephen type black gloves but have used the pork puller in a few catering gigs to get ahead of the crowd.

Like Brethren Niek...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AujG4ZSwVaM&feature=results_video"]Pushed pork Bbq - YouTube[/ame]

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I use the same gloves from Amazon, and am happy with them. I use the bear claws, too. They are fast, consistent, and get peices smaller than I can do with my hands without spending too much time on it.

Back