MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #1
W Squared
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Large quantities; Red Beans

I've seen so many posts on "baked beans", but not many on red beans. West Texas tastes gravitate toward the red bean side. We've got a great recipe, but it is smaller volume in about an 8 qt crock pot. Takes a long time and will not feed many.

Anyone on here do large volume beans and can recommend how to cook for larger groups 100 or so.? I've looked into the pressure cooker method and that would cut down on time, but unless you go to a "canning" model those are still only around the 10qt size...which would still limit the volume you could cook for.

I appreciate any feedback.
W Squared is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you are cooking dried beans in a pressure cooker, they cook fast but make a horrible mess inside the cooker with intensive clean-up.

However some manufactures make a ceramic insert for cooking beans which works well.

I ruined an 8 quart aluminum pressure cooker when I cooked a batch of Northern Beans. Won't do that again, so this time I bought one with an insert for beans.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:50 AM   #3
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

If I needed to cook a large quantity of beans, I'd sweat my trinity in a cast iron pot then add them to soaked beans and cook them in pans in the oven.

Red beans come out great in a slow cooker, a slow oven can approximate that environment in larger quantities.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #4
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

Ever consider using an 18 Qt electric roaster? Not bad to cook in plus serve out of.
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Beans