Baked Ice

Wow, that's cool. Although, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact there's anything left but steam.

Very cool Ric! The pie looks killer and the ice sphere is brilliant. Are you still working on the naked lady mold too? :mrgreen:

I’ve tried this Baked Ice on the UDS before with disastrous results.
I tried the low and fast method, I probed until it stopped probing like butter, I wrapped in the red butchers paper when the IT was below 32 deg and I still do not achieve the results that I want

Here it is after wrapping in butcher’s paper.
I still do not get the perfect Ice Sphere. Pretty good partial radius but the overall product is just not as good as yours.
I also noticed the superb marbling in your sphere. Where are you getting your water?
I used Costco water for this. I have so much to learn.

Attachments

• 2012-10-14_10-57-37_508.jpg
    2012-10-14_10-57-37_508.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 2012-11-18_10-28-37_612.jpg
    2012-11-18_10-28-37_612.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 52
I’ve tried this Baked Ice on the UDS before with disastrous results.
I tried the low and fast method, I probed until it stopped probing like butter, I wrapped in the red butchers paper when the IT was below 32 deg and I still do not achieve the results that I want

Here it is after wrapping in butcher’s paper.
I still do not get the perfect Ice Sphere. Pretty good partial radius but the overall product is just not as good as yours.
I also noticed the superb marbling in your sphere. Where are you getting your water?
I used Costco water for this. I have so much to learn.

I'm thinking its the probe that is farking you up. You might just have to wing it or go by feel. I can't take any credit for the marbling. I think that is likely to be a different result each time. As far as water goes I just use regular tap water but it does come from Lake Superior so that might be the secret. :thumb:

Don't give up man you will get it.

That ice sphere (if I can call it that) was not worthy of a fine Kentucky Bourbon, so I dispatched it into a "Captain & Coke".
BTW, brining does not help.

Oh how I wish I could list off a whole slew of great ones that I've tried.

I've tried a few but always go back to Jim Beam Black. I'd try more but the ones that I would like to try are too expensive. I've had Buffalo Trace and thought that was pretty good and while I know its not bourbon my favorite drink outside if a great craft beer is still Jack.

I'm guessing if I could afford to try some of the top shelf stuff I'd find a few more that I like. My problem really is that I don't know if I've met a Bourbon I didn't like.

If you have never tried Russells Reserve by Wild Turkey I highly recommend it. It's a very good and a reasonabaly priced 10 year bourbon. I live in KY, have toured most of distilleries and have tried most of them. This is my go to bourbon. Just wish I could gobble and turkey hunting would be much easier.

Love the WT
However I have never had the Russel Reserve.

th

With all these ice sphere experiments I'm getting tragically low on Bourbon. I promise to give the Russells Reserve a try.

Where is this "Little Smokey Throwdown" you speak of? I looked and didnt find it:confused:

Where is this "Little Smokey Throwdown" you speak of? I looked and didnt find it:confused:

That might have been the Bourbon talking. I think it is the "Get Baked" Throwdown.

Last edited:
Back