• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pork Pron need some feedback

Just Pulin' Pork

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Here is a recent turn in and I need some feeback. My gut is telling me this we could get DQ'd for making the meat look like art. THe other question I have is, does this look to much like a "Pulled Pork Salad?" Please help me with some feedback. Thanks in advance!

PleasantHillMOContestApril4thand5th.jpg

While I am no expert, it looks like too much green in the bottom left. I never try to have the garnish covering the meet. I aim to sit the meat on top of the garnish and for the garnish not to stick above the rim of the box.

Drizzling the sauce in the manner that you have would probably be considered marking.

I don't know if it would be dq'd for sculpting or not, I would lean towards not. However your sauce would be considered marking. You do have a lot of garnish, shoot for a fuller box of meat and garnish as garnish. Did that make sense?

My two cents, yes it looks like a salad, less lettuce, more meat...and yes, drizzling the sauce looks like marking, as a CBJ I would ask for clarification upon presentation from the table captain, which they would then drag over the rep and we would all be stalled on judging, and that sticks in our minds regardless of whether there is a DQ or not, there is a negative impression in the judges mind (and now almost cold meat of all entries), so not worth the risk for a few TBSPs of sauce.....toss it in it before boxing.. BUT all that aside the pork looks awesome....

I would agree with all the comments so far, Jon. I might add that you need to get some more bark in there, bro! That's where the best flavor is!

this is from the KCBS Rules book I guess it depends on how you interpit it. I think I would not squirt sauce on it though, seems risky.

10. Sauce is optional. If used, it shall be applied directly to
the meat and not be pooled or puddled in the container. No
side sauce containers will be permitted in the turn-in
container. Chunky sauce will be allowed. Chunks are to be
no larger than a fine dice,​
(approximately 1/8 inch cubed).
(Sauce violations shall receive a score of one (1) on

Appearance).
13. Meat shall not be sculptured, branded or presented in a
way to make it identifiable. Rosettes of meat slices are not
allowed. (Violations of this rule will be scored a one (1) on all​
criteria by all six judges.)

I think DQ would be stretching the interpretation of the rule although very possible. My rule of thumb when I judge is value add and in a fancy restaurant if there is a reason the drizzle has a value add it might be but in BBQ BBQ NVA so why do it. If not DQed I would not rate it over a 7 to much lettuces, to little meet rather than bark you have what appears to be dried meat, and it is not centered in the box. Just my 2 cents. No a fan of fru fru

yeah, my eyes go mostly to the ton of lettuce... and I do agree that that sauce drizzle could be considered marking. Other than that... I think it looks delicious and I don't think it looks dry at all... sorry Charlie. :>

Thanks for all the input. After reading your responses, this is really one of those turn ins that I am telling myself "WTF were you thinking." Next time it will be alot more meat and parsly instead of green leaf, and no "drizzle on my sizzzle" or whatever Snoop Dog says!

Thanks for all the input. After reading your responses, this is really one of those turn ins that I am telling myself "WTF were you thinking." Next time it will be alot more meat and parsly instead of green leaf, and no "drizzle on my sizzzle" or whatever Snoop Dog says!

Don't beat yourself up about the box. I've only done 2 comps, but I can tell you that what looks good on Saturday, doesn't always look good on camera later. Part of that is stress and part is that you are working on a lack of sleep. After I looked at the photos from my first comp, I was surprised at how bad the boxes looked. Second comp we forgot to take some pictures of some of the boxes. :eek: Live and learn!

The most important thing is to remember what the comments given were and use them on your next contest. :-D

probably a marking DQ. Maybe sculpting as it looks a lot like Texas almost. And I'd give it a 5 for all the dang lettuce. Fill the box with meat so it's higher than any garnish. That lettuce needs a lawnmower.

way to much green in the box. I don't think a DQ is in order but I would put some more meat and less green in the box.

My two cents, yes it looks like a salad, less lettuce, more meat...and yes, drizzling the sauce looks like marking, as a CBJ I would ask for clarification upon presentation from the table captain, which they would then drag over the rep and we would all be stalled on judging, and that sticks in our minds regardless of whether there is a DQ or not, there is a negative impression in the judges mind (and now almost cold meat of all entries), so not worth the risk for a few TBSPs of sauce.....toss it in it before boxing.. BUT all that aside the pork looks awesome....

I kinda agree with Char here. I wouldn't roll the dice with the drizzling of sauce just for the inconvenience the judges might feel. I think it would be better to just toss the meat in the sauce before boxing it up.

Just a side note.

I was a table captain at a comp where there was a box with sauce drizzeled in much the same manner as in the pic above. 2 of the 6 judges at my table inquired if it should be considered marking so I called the Rep over (one of the Grinstead Bothers) and he said that drizzeling is acceptable as long as it is a random or goemetric pattern but it can't be something like the shape of a number etc. He said that drizzeling is not a DQ in and of itself.

Just offering what the Rep said.

I agree with all the above coments that there is too much lettuce.

I kinda agree with Char here. I wouldn't roll the dice with the drizzling of sauce just for the inconvenience the judges might feel. I think it would be better to just toss the meat in the sauce before boxing it up.

Just a side note.

I was a table captain at a comp where there was a box with sauce drizzeled in much the same manner as in the pic above. 2 of the 6 judges at my table inquired if it should be considered marking so I called the Rep over (one of the Grinstead Bothers) and he said that drizzeling is acceptable as long as it is a random or goemetric pattern but it can't be something like the shape of a number etc. He said that drizzeling is not a DQ in and of itself.

Just offering what the Rep said.

I agree with all the above coments that there is too much lettuce.

Your input is much appreciated. Thanks for the response. I will figure this hobby out someday :grin:.

Back