MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Hozman
Take a breath!

Question using brine for more than 1 turkey

can I put turkey in brine, then when ready take that turkey out and put another one right back in. Trying to get more than couple turkeys per brine mix.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Only if you like concentrated salmonella.
Sugar and salt are cheap.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
MilitantSquatter

I'd also assume the ratios in the original batch of brine would change based on the osmosis process with the first bird.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
tburda
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Tyler

That wouldnt be worth a risk to me at all. I think the brine i use cost about $6 to buy all the ingredients I use, and i can probably do 6 birds with that. For $1 a bird, I'll mix a new brine to prevent bacteria spreading...

Old 10-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Theresa B
Full Fledged Farker

I'm with everyone else here....I use Williams Sonoma brine, taint cheap but wouldn't consider reusing it.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]22.5 WSM[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]KCBS member/CBJ/CTC[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]MABA Board of Directors [/FONT]
Theresa B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

If you're concerned about saving money, I'd suggest simplifying your brine instead of trying to re-use it. Stick to water, salt and sugar. Heck...I'd recommend keeping it that simple regardless. I'm convinced that the brining process doesn't really impart much flavor anyway so the rest of that stuff folks put in is just wasted.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bover View Post
I'm convinced that the brining process doesn't really impart much flavor anyway so the rest of that stuff folks put in is just wasted.
Couldn't be more wrong about that!
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Brining is for moisture and tenderness, not flavor. I would never reuse it.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Theresa B
Full Fledged Farker

I'm with Blackened...the brine I use gives wonderful flavor. Been using it for 3 years now and really like it and the bird is so juicy, like none other I've ever made.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]22.5 WSM[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]KCBS member/CBJ/CTC[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]MABA Board of Directors [/FONT]
Theresa B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Last year I did 3-4 birds at a time in my large cooler. I poured over a more concentrated brine based on the one in the recipe section from poohbah and ice. Left it set over night and it was AWESOME! Making enough brine was a challenge and took my large pot a couple batches to make enough for all the turkeys but it worked out. The solution for this one was sorta on the expensive side since it had a ton of fruit juices and a "tea" to make from boiling fruits. Try it out and you wont be disappointed!

But like everyone said, you will either get a nicely brined bird followed by consecutively less brined birds or you will get a batch of sick birds with the way you are proposing. I'd just do'em all at once. Will your pit accommodate multiple birds?

Old 10-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bover View Post
If you're concerned about saving money, I'd suggest simplifying your brine instead of trying to re-use it. Stick to water, salt and sugar. Heck...I'd recommend keeping it that simple regardless. I'm convinced that the brining process doesn't really impart much flavor anyway so the rest of that stuff folks put in is just wasted.

not gaining up on you, but when you make corned beef its cured in a brine and you can def taste all the pepercorns cloves and what not. osmosis is transfering the liquid. so if the liquid is flavored it should impart some flavor. if the brine did not have time to marinade for a few hours then its kinda a waste of time to add that stuff anyway. wait what were we talkin bout again

Old 10-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Salmonella shouldn't be an issue because of the salt content of the brine. It's high enough to take care of that, but as another poster stated, your salt and whatever else ratio will be low on the second brine because a good part of it will have been absorbed into the first bird.