Mrs. Sippy Low-Salt Rubs Review - River Rub & Sweet Rub

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Fellow brethren Whitfield sent out some rub samples to some of the brethren for some rubs he is about to launch. I was one of the lucky ones to receive a sample, a bottle of Mrs. Sippy River Rub and a bottle of Mrs. Sippy Sweet Rub.

r_IMG_0676.jpg

I have used these rubs over a couple recent cooks. I didn't give a review at the original time of posting these cooking sessions because I wanted to talk to Whitfield about the rubs first and get his blessing to give the review.

The first use was some River Rub on some stuffed Mini Bell Peppers. They were truly delicious!:thumb: Seriously, these were just farking awesome, not much more needs to be said. The rub worked beautifully on these.

r_IMG_0611.jpg

r_IMG_0613.jpg

r_IMG_0618.jpg

I also put two butts on the WSM late Wednesday night, each rubbed generously with the rubs. The butt with the toothpick in it had the Sweet Rub, and the other was the River Rub. I cooked them at 275*.

r_IMG_0678.jpg

r_IMG_0679.jpg

I pulled and sampled the butt with the River Rub first...

r_IMG_0681.jpg

r_IMG_0683.jpg

r_IMG_0701.jpg

The River Rub gave the meat a very nice color and there was no burning. The flavor of the bark was really good, but I thought it could use some salt to make the flavors "pop". Other than that it was quite excellent. The flavor is right in line with what you would expect from a BBQ Rub, and had a lot of similarities in flavor to some other quality rubs I have used in the past.

I mentioned this lack of salt flavor to Whitfield he said that he was making them Low Salt on purpose, he just had not labeled the rubs as such. So I just didn't know ahead of time to expect that!:becky:

Next I pulled and sampled the Sweet Rub...

r_IMG_0703.jpg

r_IMG_0705.jpg

r_IMG_0709.jpg

This rub also gave a wonderful color to the meat, and there was no burning. The bark tasted delicious and had a nice sweetness to it. Again, I thought the flavors would pop more with some salt, but as I mentioned above these are supposed to low salt rubs.

I would recommend these to anyone looking for a low salt BBQ rub. I myself like having low salt rubs around for times I am putting rubs on something that is already salty (cured meats for example).

I am not sure when these will be available, but they are worth a look when you can get them, particularly if you are looking for a low salt option!:thumb:

Back