Easy Corned-Beef Tutorial, Part 2

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Almost two weeks ago, I did Part 1 in an easy step-by-step "how to make corned beef and pastrami". That thread is here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2243587 . This is the corned beef continuation, the pastrami is now doing a soak-out for a Saturday smoke. NOTE: There are no nitrates in my corned beef (explained in the 1st thread), it will not have the "classic" pink color of corned beef, but that does not affect the taste. Anyhow, basically I just removed the corned rump roast from the bag, dropped it in water (covered over the top an inch or so), and heated to a boil, then reduced to a simmer and covered for 4 hours, or until tender. Then I removed it from the pot and foiled it to rest while I cooked the veggies.
cb1-1.jpg

cb2-1.jpg

I boiled red potatoes from the farm, baby carrots, a couple of onions, and two heads of cabbage in the beef stock until tender (about 20 minutes).
cb4-1.jpg

I also took a thick center slice of cabbage and went another way with it. It was browned in hot bacon grease in the CIDO, then I deglazed the iron with a ladle of the veggie/beef stock and some Guinness. Threw the lid on and steamed until tender.
cb5.jpg

All served with rye bread, dijon, and horseradish (and BEER!)
cb3-1.jpg

cb8.jpg

cb6.jpg

cb7.jpg

The beef was very lean as compared to brisket, but the brining did its job and made the rump roast very tender nonetheless. It had the requisite stringy/crumbly texture, and classic corned beef flavor. I was very pleased with the results, especially being such a lean and typically difficult cut of beef.

Almost forgot, my wife's apple crisp for dessert!
cb9.jpg

And the other piece doing a 24 hour soak-out for Saturday's pastrami!
cb10.jpg

Thanks for lookin' at my cookin'!!

Should corned beef be stringy? I don't know how the famous places like Katz in New York serves their corned beef in sandwiches, so I'm wondering if there are proponents to both sides of how the texture should be when sliced.

Looks fan-farking-tastic :icon_smile_tongue:

Did you cut against the grain? Doesn't that help with the "stringyness"?

I reread part #1. It seams that without the nitrites and nitrates the meat is just sitting in the fridge with some spices. Nothing wrong with that but what retards spoilage? Please take this a little further.

Should corned beef be stringy? I don't know how the famous places like Katz in New York serves their corned beef in sandwiches, so I'm wondering if there are proponents to both sides of how the texture should be when sliced.

Crumbly/stringy is good. As in how the grain of the meat starts to come apart , almost fall apart like a good brisket. I sliced it perpendicular to the grain as you would a brisket, or most cuts.

I reread part #1. It seams that without the nitrites and nitrates the meat is just sitting in the fridge with some spices. Nothing wrong with that but what retards spoilage? Please take this a little further.

There's enough salt and sugar in the brine to prevent spoilage indefinitely. Many people opt to cure meats without nitrates or nitrites. It is quite acceptably safe . The brine tenderizes the meat rather well also.

Back