MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #301
Gnomatic
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccaf View Post

My question is: Is anyone here able to access your home LAN from outside to monitor and set the CyberQ? I need some schooling on that.
Yep! Have your router assign the CyberQ Wifi with a static IP address.(or you could manually configure the CyberQ Wifi with a static IP) Then just use the port-forwarding feature of your router to point traffic using port 80 to the static IP address you set the CyberQ Wifi up with.

After that, find the address assigned to you by tryping "What's My IP" in Google. Configure your phone's Pit Pall app(or something similar) with that IP address and you should be good to go.
Gnomatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #302
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Some routers have a Virtual DMZ feature that make this easy. On my 2Wire Home GW I just tell it what internal IP address to use for the Virtual DMZ and it handle the rest. Linksys has something similar

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #303
Mccaf
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomatic View Post
Yep! Have your router assign the CyberQ Wifi with a static IP address.(or you could manually configure the CyberQ Wifi with a static IP) Then just use the port-forwarding feature of your router to point traffic using port 80 to the static IP address you set the CyberQ Wifi up with.

After that, find the address assigned to you by tryping "What's My IP" in Google. Configure your phone's Pit Pall app(or something similar) with that IP address and you should be good to go.
OK,
Assigned static IP for the CQ; ✓
Set up the router to port forward 80; ✓
Find my IP per google; ✓
configure phone with PitPal, no go, my phone is an iPhone, this appears to be an android app. Would love to know "something similar"

So typing your IP address or router address into a url field will will not allow you access to your LAN.
Mccaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #304
Ron_L

If you did the first three right you should be able to enter the public IP of your router (the one that Google reported) into Safari (or other browser) on your iPhone and see the web page from the CyberQ. You don't need an app for that.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 06-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #305
Mccaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
If you did the first three right you should be able to enter the public IP of your router (the one that Google reported) into Safari (or other browser) on your iPhone and see the web page from the CyberQ. You don't need an app for that.
Thanks. Let me go back and check the settings.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #306
Mccaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Does this look right?

This is per instructions from this thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=135197

(9) "Router Mode" should be "DHCP and NAT". If it isn't, stop now.

(10) Under "DHCP Reservations", click "+" to add. Specify whatever name
you want for your CyberQ Wifi, enter its MAC address from step 6,
and pick an IPv4 address for DHCP to reserve -- I chose 10.0.1.123.

(11) Under "Port Mapping", click "+" to add. Specify whatever name and
IP address you chose in step 10, and enter 80 for all the ports.

(12) Click "Update", which will power-cycle your Airport so that
all of these settings take effect. Wait for this to complete.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #307
appdesigngeeks
Got Wood.

Hi Everyone,

Just giving everyone an update on the BBQ Remote App. It has finally been submitted to the app store and waiting for approval !!!! Here are some screenshots of version submitted to the app store.

Android users --- There will be a version available in the next couple of days

Thanks for everyones patience

Please email [email protected] directly if you have any questions, comments, etc. We would love to hear any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks
AppDesignGeeks
appdesigngeeks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #308
Gnomatic
Got Wood.

Looks great! I'll definitely try this on my Galaxy Note 2 when the Android version comes out!
Gnomatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #309
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccaf View Post
Does this look right?

This is per instructions from this thread.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=135197

(9) "Router Mode" should be "DHCP and NAT". If it isn't, stop now.

(10) Under "DHCP Reservations", click "+" to add. Specify whatever name
you want for your CyberQ Wifi, enter its MAC address from step 6,
and pick an IPv4 address for DHCP to reserve -- I chose 10.0.1.123.

(11) Under "Port Mapping", click "+" to add. Specify whatever name and
IP address you chose in step 10, and enter 80 for all the ports.

(12) Click "Update", which will power-cycle your Airport so that
all of these settings take effect. Wait for this to complete.
Sorry... I missed this post. Yes, that all looks right. Can you hit the web page of the CyberQ from a device on your local network using 10.0.1.123? That will verify that is it's local address.

What do you get when you try to use the public IP address of your router from a device on the internet?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 06-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #310
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by appdesigngeeks View Post
Hi Everyone,

Just giving everyone an update on the BBQ Remote App. It has finally been submitted to the app store and waiting for approval !!!!
Congrats!

the screen shot shows a user name and password. What is that logging in to? The CyberQ?

Will this work on my LAN? I don't want to expose my CyberQ to the Internet. I only need to be able to monitor it around the house or comp site. At a typical comp I won't have internet access available.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #311
appdesigngeeks
Got Wood.

Hi Ron,

The login is for the app. The app can also be put into Ad Hoc mode for exactly what you are looking to do. :)

The Wifi Guru has builtin security by assigning the username and password plus you can use a NON-Default port which will keep it secure on the Internet. Someone would have to know the following to attach your Wifi Cyber Q 1.External IP address, 2. Port Number, 3.Username, 4.Password. Someone could not even sit on your LAN and use Packet Sniffing because the Username and Password is encrypted in the HTTP Header.

Let me know if this info helps.

Thanks
AppDesignGeeks

Old 06-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #312
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by appdesigngeeks View Post
Hi Ron,

The login is for the app. The app can also be put into Ad Hoc mode for exactly what you are looking to do. :)

The Wifi Guru has builtin security by assigning the username and password plus you can use a NON-Default port which will keep it secure on the Internet. Someone would have to know the following to attach your Wifi Cyber Q 1.External IP address, 2. Port Number, 3.Username, 4.Password. Someone could not even sit on your LAN and use Packet Sniffing because the Username and Password is encrypted in the HTTP Header.

Let me know if this info helps.

Thanks
AppDesignGeeks
Actually, no, I don't want ad hoc mode. I run the CyberQ in infrastructure mode and it is connected to my home wireless network when I am home or to a Linksys Wifi router in my trailer at comps, so ad hoc mode won't work. What I would like to do is have my iPhone connected to either my home network or my comp network and be able to access the CyberQ over that network.

I understand the security and port usage, but the biggest issue is at comps where I don't have internet access and really don't want to pay for a Mifi or similar just for the CyberQ. At home I am already doing port forwarding for my home office video conferencing system and really don't want to mess with trying to get a second device working when I don't need access to the CyberQ from the internet.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 06-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #313
appdesigngeeks
Got Wood.

Ron,

The app will work in both Infrastructure with OR without port forwarding and AdHoc mode. In either of the configurations you can still apply a Username and Password that is fully encrypted. Ad Hoc could still use your Designated IP address and User Name and Password.

The app will be able to cater for your specific configuration. If I was at a competition I would probably be doing the same thing with a wireless router just so I could get greater range. People would still have to know the ipaddress that was assigned to the Wifi Guru from your wireless router.

Thanks
AppDesignGeeks

Old 06-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #314
Ron_L

Thanks... Sounds good. Does the app rely on Internet access for authentication? In some of the places we cook I don't have access on my phone even via 3G

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 06-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #315
appdesigngeeks
Got Wood.

Ron,

I think I found your competition location :)