MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
bdadams84
Knows what a fatty is.

Default over cooked brisket - questions

So to 16 lbs brisket that I thought would take 15 hrs was done in 9 and a half. I don't think it stalled. It came out at 205 because the Maverick failed me. Guess it lost signal. Luckily the wife noticed.

Could using an injection have played a role? This was my first time injecting a brisket. I would have thought that if any thing it would have added a little to the cook time.

We're trying to hold it know to serve at 5. I got it cooled down to 180 and will try to hold it foiled in the oven for a couple hours. I will also seperate the point for burnt ends.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

“How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?” ~Dr. Seuss
bdadams84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

How do you know it is overcooked? How does the probe test feel? I am going to predict it is undercooked.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Temperature is a really small part of this - it really is all about the feel. Probe it in a couple of places, if it probed like a hot knife through butter then it's done, if not, then keep cooking it.

7 hours is a long time to hold a hunk-o beef if it is really done. You may be better served to toss it in the fridge for now and bring it back up to temp as you are doing the burnt ends.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Bludawg

I'm in the under cook camp too. that therm probe was probably in a fat pocket. Injections will not add moisture to any piece of meat as the meat cooks it tightens up pushing out any water based solutions. My questions are did it probe tender in the thickest part of the Flat, if not it wasn't done?! What temp where you cooking at on the Grate? If it was under 300 it aint done!

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
bdadams84
Knows what a fatty is.

I did use different probes. I thought the one on the maverick was wrong. But it still said 205. I did post this to the Brethren for a reason it's back on there. Probe test wasn't quite there.

In reality I normally pull around 195 as a guideline, after the probe test. In my sleep deprived state all I know is my Maverick lost signal while I was asleep and woke up to see it past where I normally want it. Didn't think to probe for feel. Don't blame me...I hadn't had coffee yet.

All is well now. Thanks y'all.

“How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?” ~Dr. Seuss

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Forget about internal temp. Probe, probe, probe that sucker. How the probe slides in is how that briskie is gonna feel in your mouth. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
bdadams84
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah...I know better. I usually use temp as a guideline. I foil around 165 and 170 which tends to be about half way through the cook. I start checking for doneness around 185-195. I paniced and made a rookie mistake. Oh well. Chit happens. We're still having brisket and crabs for dinner. :)

Old 07-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdadams84 View Post
Yeah...I know better. I usually use temp as a guideline. I foil around 165 and 170 which tends to be about half way through the cook. I start checking for doneness around 185-195. I paniced and made a rookie mistake. Oh well. Chit happens. We're still having brisket and crabs for dinner. :)
There ya go

Old 07-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

One thing I can tell you is that my maverick probe consistently reads 5-7 degrees above my thermopen. I just use it as an indicator but I would take a second look at that brisket and make a game plan based upon where I think it actually is at right now. If in fact it is overcooked cool it and reheat it later in juices. if undercooked get it back on while it is still hot and finish it off. I have mistakenly placed a probe in a fat pocket as suggested may have happened and it drove me nuts trying to figure out what was going on. When I sliced it the reason was obvious to me.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

About the only thing I could add here is, live by the sword/digital remote. die by the sword/digital remote. The one thing that is true about them, is they will fail when you are most dependent on them, so learn to cook without them trust me you will not regret it.
Dave

Old 07-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdadams84 View Post
I'm sorry you have crabs

Old 07-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
Mo-Dave

Yep I hear the old Blue Star ointment is the preferred glaze for crabs.
Dave

Old 07-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
landarc

I hear that Blue Star is hard on tender tissues, and that the pepper burns, but, you Texans, who knows...

Season your crabs as you would

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
bdadams84
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I'm sorry you have crabs
Ha! Me too. It's the wife's fault we have crabs!

She's a Marylander...it's what they do!

I think they're too much work. I'll do crab legs, crawfish, and shrimp but blue crabs are just too much work. I do the meats for these gatherings for those like me who don't pick crabs. For those who do it's a great surf and turf.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I hear that Blue Star is hard on tender tissues, and that the pepper burns, but, you Texans, who knows...

Season your crabs as you would
Not that ^^^^^^,this vvvvvvvv
Dave

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1373744641