MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Brew Crew
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Weber Genesis??? For mom not me...

My mom is 62 and is in need of a new grill. She loves to grill out and loves it when she comes to my house, odds are I'm smoking something, but since I live 4 hours away I don't see her too often. She has downsized her house and did not bring the old built in gas Weber with her. Anyway all three of us kids are pitching in to buy her a gas grill, but want a good one, and one that will cook evenly, and be big enough for family gatherings. I know most of you smoke or at least use charcoal, but mom can only do so much. I don't even have a gas grill anymore, so anyone with info would be apreciated. I see Home Depot has the Genesis E-310 for $699. With three of us doing this for mom for Christmas, its not too bad I guess. Any other suggestions, or go with the Genesis.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
maxwell7
Full Fledged Farker

Randy--i had a gen. stainless w/ stainless racks for 3 yrs. ( recently divorced in Il. and came home to mo) and wifey says " i think u need to leave that here!"so i did. I loved it!! stainless means no muss and fuss , no rust. Simply put--it's a Weber-- nothing else to say! Great grill , and even ardent smokers on here admit they use a gasser when pressed for time! I own a Aussie smoker(cheap) a Stok , and an old cook 'n kettle cast iron dad bought. I 'll stand behind a genesis and recommend it to anyone!

Last edited by maxwell7; 12-09-2012 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: I need to start signing off with Doug most comfortable with that. Maxwell is a family heritage name from mom's side of family
maxwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

I own a Weber Q100 and a Q200. Weber gas grills are great. Your mom will love the Genesis.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i think that is a great choice.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
realspaazz
Take a breath!

I love my genesis e-320. Have been cooking on it a few times a week (or more) for the last 4 years. I have not had to replace anything. The best gas grill that I have ever owned. I expect to have it for many, many years. Btw, the green color cooks the best!!!

Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Pull the trigger, WEBER is the best choice. Warranty, Customer Service and Life. Wish my kid would buy me one.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
thompson238
Got Wood.

I have the e310 and love it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Old 12-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Brew Crew
Knows what a fatty is.

Sounds like this is the one, but I just called my brother, and now he is saying lets get her the green egg. I dont know much about these cookers. Is this something a mother could learn to cook on. The gas grill is so easy. Fire it up and go. I enjoy my stick burner, nothing beats them in my opinion, but no way mom could handle it. My brother thinks she will like the BGE, I'm.not to sure.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
EX~DY
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Dominic

My vote is for the Weber Genesis. But if Mom is into charcoal, & she can still handle it, by all means. I'm kind of picturing a 62 yr old prefering the ease of gas.

In the end it will be okay.
And if it's not okay, it's not the end.
EX~DY is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

Personally, I think the Genesis E-310 would be great choice. Only consideration is whether you want to step up to one with a side burner. IMHO, if she has not been around charcoal, the Green Egg is probably a poor choice unless she is asking for it.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Does she cook on gas or charcoal now? If it's gas, then stick with that. Get her a weber, even if it's just a spirit. Does she really want to bother with charcoal? You don't even need to think twice about that one.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
Brew Crew
Knows what a fatty is.

She has only used gas. She has a brinkman smoker too but that was dads. Just don't see her using that or an egg. My sister said we should get the six burner Charbroil at academy for $299. I'm trying to convince her you get what you pay for. She said that Charbroil is good enough for her, why not mom. I don't want to have to buy her another one in couple years...

Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
EX~DY
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Dominic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew Crew View Post
...you get what you pay for. I don't want to have to buy her another one in couple years...
Dude, get her the Weber. Even if you have to sell your dog to get it for her. She's your Mom.

In the end it will be okay.
And if it's not okay, it's not the end.
EX~DY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

The only thing worse than a cheap gas grill is.... well nothing. I hated gas grills for years because I only owned cheap ones. Trying to cook chicken on a cheap gas grill is like trying to toast marshmallows in a forest fire, It wasn't until I invested some money that I finally leaned exactly what you are telling your sister because you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to gas grills. If the family thinks the Genesis is too much and if mom doesn't want to do anything fancy, you might want to look at a Q300 or Q320 although the Genesis is definitely a much better grill.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

We have had our Weber Genesis for about 10 years. Stupid easy and quick to put together. Easy to clean, easy to use. An Egg would be a great gift, but if your mom is used to using gas then I would stick with it. If she was a hardcore charcoal person then I would highly recommend an Egg for ease of use and versatility, but they are heavy if she were to need to move it. Talk your siblings into the Weber.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote