• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

reverse flow question

joegiggles

Reaction score
So I'm building a big baby double barrel smoker. I am making it a reverse flow to eliminate hot spots. Here's the question, and I'm sure I am over thinking it but why not ask?

Does it make a difference if I put the exhaust on the side or on the back? I'm thinking that the side would be better but the back would be easier as I already have the collar from the barrel stove kit.

and yes, I'm putting it at grate level

Thanks

I've owned and cooked with Bubba Grills' reverse flow smokers, and I currently own and use a large Lang.

I would suggest to you that putting the exhaust at grate level is a mistake, especially on a reverse flow. The #1 key to this working is that heat rises, and you want your exhaust at the highest point and the hottest point on your smoker, that is at the highest point and as close to the fire box as possible. By doing this you've created a smooth air-flow to/through the exhaust which basically draws the smoke to it.

Thanks...and you're right. Everything i saw was to put it lower. I'll move it up. Is it just me or do the stacks appear to be 12-18 inches tall on them?

They are (about 18 inches). See PM I just sent you. I'm not sure how effective a baffle will be for you in this design...

Lake Dog is correct about keeping your stack high and getting it as far away from the fire box as possible. As far as stack height, you need to use a pit calculator to determine the weight. There are many factors that go into the calculation so using the calculator is the best thing. It also will give you the other calcs you will need for your build. Here is a link to a calculator. http://www.smokerbuilder.com/pitcalc/

So maybe the reverse flow is not a good idea. What if i had my stack oppusite my firebox and ran a preforates baffle umder the grate. Would that allow the smoke though and orevent hot/cold spots?

You will get a much more even temp with reverse flow vs traditional. My reverse flow offset is 72x30 and have a 4 degree difference over the 72". That's pretty good.

i misunderstood you, I thought you meant get the stack as far from the firebox as you can, meaning the other side of the smoker.

From your experience do you think this will work.
a 6 inch connection between the firebox and the cooking chamber on the extreme right side of the cooker. running a baffle 10 inches wide (about 4 inches tall) across the bottom with a 2 inch gap at the end and then a 6 inch smoke stack about 18 inches tall

do you think there will be a draft issue with that setup?

Thanks again for your insights

It all depends on the overall dimensions of your overall pit. Are you planning on using a tank or a large tube and weld the end on. I also will send you a private message with other information.

I built my own reverse flow smoker out of a 250 gallon propane tank ( 30" diameter x 84" long) . You need to use the reverse flow calculator that you can find online. This will tell you how big your fire box, opening into pit from fire box , air intake and size / length of smoke stack. All this is a factor and draft of the pit. I put my smoke stack at height of first rack in the pit. I read many of threads on smoke stacks at cooking surface . I had only 5-10 degree side to side but I was getting a 50-70 degree difference from top to bottom rack. The heat was being trapped in the pit since the stack was to far into pit. I cut the stack off in the pit and now get 10-15 degree difference from top to bottom. Big difference. Also I used 1/4 inch steel for reverse flow plate which distributes the heat evenly. I have had several different pits but now I have a reverse flow. I will never use anything else. I can't believe how much more flavor in the meat due to a clean burning pit with lots of blue smoke.

Now here my next question... im using a 30 gallon drum that i cut in half as a charcoal basket. Its on the skis to an old sled to its almost to the top of the 55. How should i calculate the firebox size? The 55? Half of the 30? Or im guessing somewhere in the middle

The reverse flow is meant to have the firebox on the side in order to have heat/smoke travel under plate to get a even heat through the pit and draw smoke through the meat. Here is how I cut and made my reverse flow smoker

image.jpg

Back