Pellets vs. Logs, A Taste Difference?

A

aHughJassDude

Hey guys, so I was talking with a buddy over at Pelletheads.com and we were talking about the differences between pellets and logs in the pit. Do you think there is a definite taste difference in between pellets and logs or are they going to have basically the same flavor?

yes , I can tell the difference when I use my Treager vs the UDS , but its not enough for me to not use the Treager as my primary cooker

Hey guys, so I was talking with a buddy over at Pelletheads.com and we were talking about the differences between pellets and logs in the pit. Do you think there is a definite taste difference in between pellets and logs or are they going to have basically the same flavor?

If you are referring to logs as in a stick burner, yes there will be a difference. A stick burner is fueled by a steady fire by burning logs. A pellet smoker is a more efficient burner where an electrical element ignites the pellets as they are needed.

The amount of pellets vs the amount of wood that is burned to cook the food varies greatly. The cooking process is different and so will the taste be different in some aspects. It all relates to smoke + controlled heat over a period of time to produce the end result. There are many variables that can change to produce desired results.

This doesn't mean the pellet burner won't produce good BBQ, in fact many pros use pellet cookers because they are consistent with their results.

You will get a smokier flavor at any temperature burning sticks. Pellets lose smoke flavor the hotter you cook. Pellet grills are great, but lower on the smoke flavor spectrum.

]A pellet smoker is a more efficient burner where an electrical element ignites the pellets as they are needed.

This is not the case. The igniter is only on for 5 minutes at the very beginning. It is not on after that. The fire in a pellet cooker is 100% wood, no electrical assist past the initial lighting.

If you like a heavy smoke flavor, don't go with pellets. Other than that they are great

This is not the case. The igniter is only on for 5 minutes at the very beginning. It is not on after that. The fire in a pellet cooker is 100% wood, no electrical assist past the initial lighting.

Ron is correct as usual, but I think the other intent of the post is also accurate. Pellets burn "cleaner" IE: more efficiently with the direct air flow from the fans the pellet's firebox uses which results in less smoke than a stickburner's smoldering logs.

That said, one can use plenty of other methods in a pellet cooker to achieve a very intense smoky flavor. I modified my FEC-100 to have a grate of exapanded metal right next to the firebox that I place chunks of the wood flavor of choice to enhance the pellet smoke coming from their combustion.

Would putting a a-maze-n pellet smoking tube or tray at the bottom of the pellet cooker bump up the smoke closer to a stick burner?

Sure. Or even just use a small cast iron pan with a hanful of pellets or a foil pouch full of pellets or wood-chips. There are lots of options...

Would putting a a-maze-n pellet smoking tube or tray at the bottom of the pellet cooker bump up the smoke closer to a stick burner?

Some have noticed results this way; I have not.

It's not like you won't get smoke flavor using a pellet. I get a smoke ring on my burgers when I use the traeger...

With all of the foiling we do now its not a big difference.... We foil buts a little later to develop a "better" bark. We can cook a brisket straight through with no wrap and its perfect, not over smoked.

Back