MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default LifeTime Table leg design change

Just got back from Sam's to buy poly table for comp setup. Life Time has changed the design of their table legs and the cheap, easy pvc leg extension mod isn't going to work on the new models

The new leg design looks like this TT only upside down. Gonna have to put my thinking cap on now and see what cost effective solution I can come up with.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

OK, here's a picture of the new legs. The bottom horizontal piece is 7/8" x 1 1/2" rectangular tubing.

I'm sure with a drill, screws and a lot of scrap I'll cobble up something that will work. Hoping someone can come up with something better than what I'm gonna end up with on the fly.

Spice, your extensions for the old style legs are first rate, any ideas for this new leg arrangement?

Old 08-14-2005, 02:40 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Scott,
That is gonna be interesting to raise
May have to look at it differently than the standard leg extensions.

How about building a "box" that sits under each leg.
Cube shaped, as long as the legs are wide. Wide enough to be stable and tall enough to get the height up where ya want it.
Envision an open top coffin for a Barbie Doll
Hard to describe.

Maybe a couple of notches in the small end boards to keep the table from sliding off.

Would not have to be heavy--just the end boards support the weight of the table and all. Maybe 3/8" or 1/2" plywood for the bottom and the two long sides and 3/4" wood for the notched ends to support table weight.

I guess it might help with the "soggy ground" we seem to run into at comps.

Just an idea--FWIW.

Good Luck.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just a thought, but rectangular tube is not too expensive. Find some that fits over the existing vertical legs. Saw the legs an inch or so above the bottom horizontals. Weld the new oversized tube to the bottom horizontal, fitting over the stub you left for alignment. Drill and pin the vertical at your prefered height, or several adjustable positions. Just have to stay below the angled support that locks in place when the table is in use. You may have to remove a little of the existing vertical length to allow the legs to fold up like original.

Kevin

Old 08-14-2005, 03:47 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

2inch PVC T Capped at one end or just use a 2 inch 90 degree elbow. The leg goes thru the T(or elbow)and insert the PVC section downwards.

A pin or thumb screw drilled thru T and into leg to hold the T in place and stop it from shifting.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

Many of the new Lifetime table have adjustable legs to create different heights. Although they don't go to 42", they will raise up. They have designed a system similar to the way the EZ-Up canopy legs work. I can't tell by your pic if this is one of them, but the leg design is the same.

Rod

Check out this link. Your pic looks like the adjustable height table down the page. It should extend to 36". You would know better than about anyone I know that this height is the same as a base cabinet. Unfortunately another six inches would be better for working on meat at a competition.

http://www.lifetime.com/TablesAndChairs/Tables.aspx
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 09:11 PM   #7
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

I heard that this was going to be a problem. Someone told me a month or so ago that the new tables were being redesigned. Sorry that you are the first to have to deal with it. I think I will hit Big R tomorrow to make sure that I can get a couple more tables of the old style..

I am confident that you can figure this one out. Not a huge problem.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 09:44 PM   #8
Jeff_in_KC

Hey Scott... how much did you have to pay for the new design tables? Just curious.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2005, 09:59 PM   #9
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Many of the new Lifetime table have adjustable legs to create different heights. Although they don't go to 42", they will raise up. They have designed a system similar to the way the EZ-Up canopy legs work
Sam's did have 4' x 24" deep tables with this adj leg design. The 24" depth didn't work for me so I went with the less user friendly leg design.
Fortunately, I'm only 5' 8" and 38" is plenty tall enough for comfortable working ht for me, only 8" to make up.

I have some 2 1/2" square stock I glued up for bunk bed posts, I think for now I'll just cut a slot in them wide enough for the horz leg member to sit in, drill a thru hole for a pin or bolt to secure the extensions. I think I have enough to do 2 tables, that will be enough elevated work surface until I can come up with something more permanent and hopefully adjustable like Kevin suggests.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:05 PM   #10
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Hey Scott... how much did you have to pay for the new design tables? Just curious.
I bought 2-6' and 2-8' tables, 6' $45, 8'-$70. Bus tubs 2 for $10, networking aide of the Brethren, priceless

Old 08-14-2005, 10:30 PM   #11
Jeff_in_KC

Thanks Scott!
KCBS Member #14287

Old 08-15-2005, 11:57 AM   #12
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

Sh-t just sit down!!!
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2005, 02:39 PM   #13
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokincracker
Sh-t just sit down!!!
Oh man, I hadn't thought of that! Sometimes it takes someone at a distance to see the obvious!
KCBS Member #14287

Old 08-15-2005, 03:03 PM   #14
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
only 8" to make up.
I was going to suggest cinder blocks until you said you bought 4 tables. Who wants to cart around 16 cinder blocks, anyways? Those tables are the same ones I'm going to have to get eventually so make sure you post what you ended up doing. I personally like Kevin's idea for a long term solution, I just hate the thought of having to modify a table I already paid 45 or 70 dollars for. Hmmmm.....then again, I did modify a 200 dollar Bandera.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #15
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokincracker
Sh-t just sit down!!!
Oh man, I hadn't thought of that! Sometimes it takes someone at a distance to see the obvious!

I do what I can Bro!!
Check the local rental supply stores as they sometimes liquidate tables for up-dated equipment at a low price. Old style with wood tops usually!!! Good stuff.
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote