MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Default Biggest/most respected bbq comp?

What would you say is the biggest? Most respectable (Cuz I know a lot of time the one with the largest attendance can be more of a marketing/tourist thing)? Jack daniels? Memphis in May?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

I would say the jack

Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Not the biggest in team count but you can't argue with the prestige of King of the Smoker.
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

most respectable, i might say sam's national. all master judges, all teams top 10 or better from all regions more than once.

most pretigious, i'd say jack...damn how can you deny competing against teams that won seven or more GC's in a season just to be there. that's big stuff fella's.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

I say the American Royal Invitational...hehehe seriously I thought that before we won it all champions...great judging no celebrity or customer judges.
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

It would have to be hands down WILLIEPALOOZA!!!!
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

KCBS, The Royal is the biggest and along with The Jack arguably the most prestigious. I think that while you can certainly add Sam's Club and now King of the Smoker to the discussion they are new events and it will take some time before they reach the same level as The Royal and Jack which just celebrated their 33rd and 24th year respectively.

As far as other sanctioning bodies the Houston Livestock Rodeo and Memphis In May contests are also considered very prestigious trophies.

I'm sure I'm leaving 1 or 2 out but those are the ones that come to mind right off the bat.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
I say the American Royal Invitational...hehehe seriously I thought that before we won it all champions...great judging no celebrity or customer judges.
without a doubt, that for sure is one of them!

OP topic slide, maybe, but, another way to pose the question might be, as a competitor, which big contest would want to GC? royal, jack, sams, MIM?

answers to that might give a better perspective as to what is perceived as the biggest/most prestigious etc.

but really, there are those contests that the best of the best earned attendance and you can't quantify how great they are.

with that right now, i'd say jack or royal if i could choose one to put my name with.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

hey guys. New guy here, and its definitely the Best in the West Rib Cookoff. Shameless first post, i know.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post

Pffffttttttt...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
hey guys. New guy here, and its definitely the Best in the West Rib Cookoff. Shameless first post, i know.
my plane ticket is already booked. any leads on open hotel rooms?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Pffffttttttt...
without steve around somebodies gotta do it.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
my plane ticket is already booked. any leads on open hotel rooms?
Yeah, book it last year! lol, but no not really. You either gotta be really early or you gotta be ready to pay a premium even for crap hotels/motels. Not me though!
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

Scottie way back when you won the jack that was probably number one. Way back
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Stop kidding around guys, It's the Jack.

Last edited by Hawg Father of Seoul; 01-23-2013 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: editted to add, of course I don't really mean to stop kidding. I just meant that yeah, it is the Jack and on that we agree.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->