MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Default South Carolina Style Mustard BBQ Sauce

Hey All, not sure where to post this, so please move if needed mods.

I am looking for a South Carolina Style Mustard BBQ Sauce to carry in our online store. If anybody can provide me with any suggestions I would appreciate it.
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

Smokey Bones!

Scott
Humphreys Battle Box
Chargriller Akorn, Akorn Jr.
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Prosser's is pretty good. They have a restaurant at Murrell's Inlet, below Myrtle Beach. I think their sauce is a good representative of the style.

I'm sure Maurice Bessinger would appreciate the business, but I wouldn't give my business to him for personal reasons. It's a shame too, great sauce.

Last edited by Hugh Jorgan; 10-14-2009 at 10:49 AM..
Hugh Jorgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Smokin' Teddy T
Got Wood.

Default SC Mustard Sauce

I'd look into Melvin's BBQ sauces or Sticky Fingers...all Charleston or Mt. Pleasant, SC based.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Sticky Fingers isn't a Carolina Q house and they do not cook Carolina BBQ or sauce. No way, no how, not at any time. It's more like an Applebee's. More for the tourists. I am pretty sure that Melvin is Maurice Bessinger's brother. Same family any how. Never been to Melvin's and won't until I am sure he doesn't share Maurice's opinions on people of color. Not to get too political. Sorry.

Try Momma Browns for real vinegar based low country style BBQ. They have other great low country cuisine as well.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Been talking this one over since lunch. All my old timer friends say you definitely should contact Shealy's. I think they already do most of their own marketing and online sales though.

I still vote for Prosser's.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Hey Hugh! Whats going on w/ Maurices suace ? I used to like that til I STAERTED MAKIN MY OWN.
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyclaw View Post
Hey Hugh! Whats going on w/ Maurices suace ? I used to like that til I STAERTED MAKIN MY OWN.
No one in their right mind would carry it anymore. The major grocery stores and Wal Mart were getting picketed weekly for a while before they gave in and dumped him from the shelves. If I remember correctly, Piggly Wiggly was the last holdout but they eventually had to do the right thing too. He had just introduced a line of frozen BBQ dinners too and they were pretty good. What a shame.

When I was younger I didn't know all about him. I just knew that he had the best dang BBQ I have ever eaten in my life! Sauce too. Several years ago, when we were embroiled in the controversy over the flag, I got an eyeful and an earful of him. Enough to last me the rest of my life. For that was when he took to the airwaves and print media to spread his hatred and ignorance. That is when his empire began to crumble. He alone has set South Carolina race relations back 50 years. If it weren't for Maurice Bessinger, the whole Confederate flag controversy would have probably been over by now. It's not.

The man refused to allow black people to sit in his dining room at Piggy Park until the late 60s. The case went all the way to the US Supreme Court with him losing of course. Around the same time, he led a personal campaign to prevent Stevie Wonder from playing at USC. he called him horrible names and said he played "jungle music" that would endanger the white children of SC. His comments and personal politics are beyond repulsive. I don't care how good the terribly overpriced food is, I just cant make myself give this man a single penny to use in his personal race war.

He claims that 95% of slaves were perfectly happy with their situation. He uses the Bible to justify his horrible views. He calls the Confederate Naval Jack a symbol of Christianity! He calls Abraham Lincoln a war criminal and the worst dictator this country has ever had. He is still a secessionist, well over 200 years past that particular event. He was even head of an organization called, are you ready, the National Association for the Preservation of White People. He ran for governor in 1974 on a segregationist platform! He would ride around the streets of Columbia on a white horse dressed up like Harlean Sanders. In his book he states that Jewish people are the worst customers because they are so stingy and don't tip.

I don't know, I hate he's from SC is all I can tell you. I can't swallow my pride and ignore my conscience enough to do business with him. Nowadays, the more I hear his mouth, I wouldn't eat it if he paid me.

I realize this is probably a little bit political for this forum. Sorry, just relating the backstory of where Maurice's sauce went.

*edit* Bessiger himself now admits that his actions for the past several years have led to his $5 million dollar a year business profits dwindling by 98% since the start of this decade.

Last edited by Hugh Jorgan; 10-14-2009 at 06:57 PM..
Hugh Jorgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
Smokin' Teddy T
Got Wood.

Default Bessinger's, Melvin's & Sticky Fingers

Just a little Paul Harvey to add to Hugh's comments...while it is true that Melvin is a Bessinger and is a brother of the infamous "Bessinger" mentioned by Hugh - and they both learned their trade from their father - but to my knowledge, Melvin's should NOT be basted with the same racist brush. And his Q is outstanding (and Burgers...for what it's worth, rated by Emeril Lagasse as "the best burger in America"...a bit of a stretch, but worth the stop if you are in Charleston). Hugh should know that, I think. As for Sticky Fingers...Hugh is entitled to his opinion about whether he likes their sauce, but those boys did start their business here in Charleston, SC...and that was the question. But then, being in Myrtle Beach on the NC border, Hugh might be partial to vinegar-based sauce like many in NC. Which I like a lot too, and maybe better than mustard-based sauces.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfisch View Post
Smokey Bones!

Scott
What are you doing eating at Smokey Bones? Is it because of the doghouse food?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
What are you doing eating at Smokey Bones? Is it because of the doghouse food?
It reminds him of home cooking.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #12
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Teddy T View Post
Just a little Paul Harvey to add to Hugh's comments...while it is true that Melvin is a Bessinger and is a brother of the infamous "Bessinger" mentioned by Hugh - and they both learned their trade from their father - but to my knowledge, Melvin's should NOT be basted with the same racist brush. And his Q is outstanding (and Burgers...for what it's worth, rated by Emeril Lagasse as "the best burger in America"...a bit of a stretch, but worth the stop if you are in Charleston). Hugh should know that, I think. As for Sticky Fingers...Hugh is entitled to his opinion about whether he likes their sauce, but those boys did start their business here in Charleston, SC...and that was the question. But then, being in Myrtle Beach on the NC border, Hugh might be partial to vinegar-based sauce like many in NC. Which I like a lot too, and maybe better than mustard-based sauces.
I didn't accuse Melvin of anything, Tom either, because I don't know. But, I would be willing to bet my house that Maurice learned it at home. That's where this sort of insiduous attitude is bred. I actually said that I didn't know anything about them. I can't recall ever hearing any of the other Bessingers try to excuse or back up Maurice.

As far as Sticky Fingers is concerned, THEY ARE NOT NOW NOR HAVE THEY EVER BEEN REPRESENTATIVE OF ANY STYLE OF BBQ THAT IS PRACTICED IN SC. period. It PLAINLY states on all their literature that they are a Memphis "style" BBQ joint. Whatever the heck that is.

The question was not about any chain Applebee's type restaurants that began in South Carolina, he was looking for mustard based South Carlina sauces that are representative of the style. I also am not at all partial to the South Carolina Style vinegar based sauce, to imply that I am less than devoted to mustard is a dueling offense!

I stand by all my previous comments. Of course.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
MilitantSquatter

Thanks for the history Mr. Organ

I was given two bottles of Maurice's mustard sauce about a year ago.. I thought it was a good mustard sauce but found it very odd that there was a confederate flag on the bottle. I think I gave one bottle to motoeric to review on his homeofbbq.com but don't think he ever reviewed it... probably a good thing.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
3 Rivers BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Living here in Lexington/Columbia SC and having eaten at Shealey's, Maurice's and Melvin's in Charleston...Melvin's brand is basically the same as Maurice's, with less sweetner and more vingear. Shealy's is real good, and would be a better choice for not having a chance of being linked to the Bessinger name. On a side note, I had the "pleasure" of working at the pit for about 6 months at Piggie Park with the Bessinger's, both Lyoyd and Maurice, and all I can say is, the Bessinger family makes great tasting BBQ and are still 30 years behind in society.
3 Rivers BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Rivers BBQ View Post
Shealy's is real good, and would be a better choice for not having a chance of being linked to the Bessinger name.
That's why I didn't mention Sweatmans either. One of the best most authentic BBQ joints I've ever seen. They cook all night to serve the next day 3 days a week. But I am pretty sure that they are a part of the family too. I'm not trying to lump them all together, really I wouldn't want to accuse anyone of carrying around such a hostile world view unless I was sure, but Maurice has pretty much tainted the family name forever as far as marketing and product placement go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Rivers BBQ View Post
On a side note, I had the "pleasure" of working at the pit for about 6 months at Piggie Park with the Bessinger's, both Lyoyd and Maurice, and all I can say is, the Bessinger family makes great tasting BBQ and are still 30 years behind in society.
Nice to hear from another South Carolinian. Ever try Prosser's? Next time you're on the coast, if you can resist stopping at Flo's, go on down deeper into Murrell's Inlet and try Prosser's. Usually they have top notch cue. You can probably find their mustard sauce at the local grocer. We have it now up here in the Piedmont region. There's a fairly famous cue joint near Hartsville, Westwood BBQ, I knew some members of the Brewer family, (now deceased), cousins of the management at Westwood. The cue there is okay but inconsistent.

If you worked the pit at Piggy Park, I would love to have you come up here and cue sometime. I bet you learned a lot from that family.