MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Organizer Feedback

There is a new contest in my state and I just saw the entry form yesterday. $250 entry includes power and water. $10k in prize money but payouts only through the top 5 in each category. This contest is a first year and expects to draw 48 teams. The entry is $250 which is about $50-100 more than all the other contest in the state. Heck, they even have a backyard that is $150 entry and only the first two places pay out more than the entry fee.

Personally I think the entry fee is too high and I was considering contacting the organizer and telling them this. Has anyone ever done that? Just curious. what was the response like? Is it worth it? I would like to see this contest succeed because there are no other ones in the vicinity.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

I am sure they will get the picture when they dont reach 15 teams. Way to high for me!

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Dog BBQ View Post
There is a new contest in my state and I just saw the entry form yesterday. $250 entry includes power and water. $10k in prize money but payouts only through the top 5 in each category. This contest is a first year and expects to draw 48 teams. The entry is $250 which is about $50-100 more than all the other contest in the state. Heck, they even have a backyard that is $150 entry and only the first two places pay out more than the entry fee.

Personally I think the entry fee is too high and I was considering contacting the organizer and telling them this. Has anyone ever done that? Just curious. what was the response like? Is it worth it? I would like to see this contest succeed because there are no other ones in the vicinity.
I think you just nailed it... there are no other ones in the vicinity... So a couple things may be going on:
1. He may be testing the supply/demand waters - to see what the market will bear, knowing he is the only game in vicinity.
2. He may need the extra entry money to help boost the prize pot... depends on his sponsors and what they are providing.
3. His venue.... are they donating it? is it given to him at a reduced cost... or is he having to pay full tilt for the location, (folks may be charging him more based on the economy as well)

I think this year will be really interesting in general to see how contests are impacted both in prize $$ and entry costs.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Is this cook KCBS sanctioned?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Is this cook KCBS sanctioned?
Yes it is sanctioned

Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

IT doesn't hurt to call him... but I would look for some of his drivers for the price... vs. just telling him to drop it. You might share with him the disparity between his and other Iowa events as well...
AG

Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
IT doesn't hurt to call him... but I would look for some of his drivers for the price... vs. just telling him to drop it. You might share with him the disparity between his and other Iowa events as well...
AG
Thanks Andy. I don't want to tell someone how to run a contest but that just jumped out at me. Who knows, the venue could be top notch and worth every penny.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

I am not sure I have ever paid less than 250 inclusive. That seems right in line to me.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #9
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

200 is just a real nice round #. JMHO

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Dog BBQ View Post

Buster Dog,

I thought the exact same thing when I got the e-mail. $150 to cook ribs in the backyard division! Will be interesting to see how many teams head down there.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #11
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Is the the new one in SouthCentral/East IA?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #12
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Is the the new one in SouthCentral/East IA?
Yes, that is correct.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow! And here I was thinking the $180 for St. Joseph, MO is too rich for my blood with all the $150 contests around KC!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2009, 04:39 AM   #14
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
I am not sure I have ever paid less than 250 inclusive. That seems right in line to me.
Yep. A perfect example of how different things are in each region. The Midwest cooks get spoiled by the lower costs to organizers and high density of contests. Move away from the heartland and we're thrilled to see a new contest within a four hour drive, regardless of the entry fee!
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

$200 - $250 is what I normally see. This one includes electric. I see a lot of contest where electric is an additional $25 (the ones with the $200 entry fee). $150 for the backyard comp seems a bit steep. $75 is more in line with what I see in the mid-Atlantic for BY.
Gettin' ready to mail a form for the first contest of the year - $250 and includes electric and water.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote