MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs down I love my acorn but......

My thermometer is almost exactly 100 degrees low!!!!!
NOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Did you try contacting Char Griller?

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Heck. Mine was broken out of the box. The pointer was loose and just floated around depending on how it was tilted. No biggie though because I never trust the thermo that comes with a relatively inexpensive cooker anyway. I did contact Chargriller but they never responded.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHENS View Post
My thermometer is almost exactly 100 degrees low!!!!!
Get a grate probe to get true grate temperature instead of getting readings of dome temperature.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

Mine is 50 degrees low if I am cooking in the shade, in the sun its close..

I really think with the Akorn you need some form of digital thermometer even if your factory one is accurate for low temp cooking.. I bring mine up to temp and close vents down based on how fast the Maverick is going up.. With how slow the factory is your temp can be climbing or fire going dead and not realize it before you have problems..

I would look to Maverick and Thermoworks and find a digital that meets your needs and your budget.. I have an ET 732 and am very happy with the ease of well running Akorn you can get things done and monitor the cooker.. Additionally with our cold winters it allows me to sit inside while the cooker cooks..
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Heck. Mine was broken out of the box. The pointer was loose and just floated around depending on how it was tilted. No biggie though because I never trust the thermo that comes with a relatively inexpensive cooker anyway. I did contact Chargriller but they never responded.
Did you call them?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
Did you call them?
Nope. Just emailed customer service about the warranty issue. Wasn't gonna waste minutes on hold forever. Besides, as I said, it really wasn't a big deal for me because I took it for granted the thermo would be crap anyway.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Nope. Just emailed customer service about the warranty issue. Wasn't gonna waste minutes on hold forever. Besides, as I said, it really wasn't a big deal for me because I took it for granted the thermo would be crap anyway.
Anyone ever replace it with....like a tel-tru? I don't give a fark if its grate temp if its close? I'm lazy

Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I noticed that when I use the heat diffuser the dome temp reads close to the grill temp. If I cook straight the temps are no where near the same.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHENS View Post
Anyone ever replace it with....like a tel-tru? I don't give a fark if its grate temp if its close? I'm lazy

I've been meaning to do that but haven't got around to it. I do like where the original is placed though, about halfway between the top of the dome and the grate. What gets me is how much they're charging for them now that they've become popular! Even Wal*Mart is $349 which is the lowest price Amazon has for them new too. At the beginning of the year when I got Redhot's for her, and Char Griller was apparently changing the badges on them to "King Griller", the sale price was just a little over 200.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

I replaced mine with a "Man Law BBQ Series Grill/Smoker Thermometer with Glow in the Dark Dial" from Amazon. It was $9.99. You will have to drill the hole out on your akorn just a bit to make it fit. I've installed this thermometer on my UDS and mini WSM as well. I like it cause it's a little bigger, glows in the dark (allegedly), and just looks cool.

Last edited by RemoGaggi; 07-24-2013 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: added photo
RemoGaggi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
NOHENS
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I've been meaning to do that but haven't got around to it. I do like where the original is placed though, about halfway between the top of the dome and the grate.
10-4 boss!!! I think I'm going to also. I do like its location also...and don't want anymore holes on it!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Is the original thermometer adjustable? On my BGE thermometer there is a nut on the back that will adjust the temp reading.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I actually tested mine in boiling water before I installed it. I was surprised to see that it was pretty spot on. I still wouldn't really want to trust it though. But then again so far all I've really used my Akorn for is grilling. My WSM and Cajun Bandit get called upon for low & slow.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Is the original thermometer adjustable?
Yep! Give it a shake, and it changes every time.