Weber enamel finish. Anybody ever remove it?

Bluesman

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Has anybody tried removing the enamel finish from a Weber kettle? I have some ideas running around in my head and removing the finish would be in the plan. Just asking ahead of time before I get out the grinder.

No, but you might try one of the VHT paints. I was painting the "Bat Smoker" UDS, and the Red logo (with VHT paint) melted the black paint (Rustoleum) on contact.

But why would you take a chance on compromising the integrity of the kettle by taking a grinder to it?

I just want to remove the finish so I can repaint it. Come on guys, its not that crazy..:der: is it...........:tape:

I had the one I used for my UDS sandblasted. It took it off nicely, but screwed up the exhaust a little bit. I can post a pic if you would like...

I had the one I used for my UDS sandblasted. It took it off nicely, but screwed up the exhaust a little bit. I can post a pic if you would like...

Now we're cooking. I thought of sand blasting. yes please post s pic. thanks.

Picked up an old Bar-b-kettle for $5 on Craig's List. Really faded, rusted a bit as the porcelain was real thin in spots. Removed the handle and the vent and attacked it with my random orbit sander. Started off with a coarse grit, 80 or 100, and moved up to finer grits when the porcelain was gone. Primed and then painted it Red. looks great still 2 or 3 years later. Here is is before the first cook. It lives on a drum so does not see high grilling temps.

P6270320.jpg

I'm thinking a grinder would be WAY too aggressive a tool for this project.
Oh yeah, wear a dust mask.

Prolly sandblasting be your best belt, or get some airplane stripper be careful with it some bad stuff .

Now we're cooking. I thought of sand blasting. yes please post s pic. thanks.
Before...

_DSC9809.jpg

After...

_DSC9832.jpg

As stated before, it did warp the vent and the lip was warped too (you can see both in the pics), but I just formed it to the top of the drum so the lid fit better than factory.

That enamel is really tough, hard to take off. I highly recommend sandblasting for a UDS, if you are going to do it just to repaint a weber, let's just say I wouldn't do it just because it can mess up some of it.

i think the porcelain does two things. its helps retain the heat and also it ads to the rigidity of the steel. other than that, its yer grill so you can do with it what you want. sand blasting would probably be the best option, its what i would use.

Bluesman, I would NOT remove the porcelain material .If you think you have to repaint the lid,just scuff up the glossy finish with sandpaper so that the fresh paint has something to adhere to. just my $0.02 worth.

Back