MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
jlough69
On the road to being a farker

Default First Brisket on the New UDS

I just recently finished my UDS and was planning on using it next weekend for a family cookout. But as all who have put together a drum know - you get that itch to break it in. So after work Friday I stopped by Parks and picked up a 8 lb packer to get a little practice in.

I figured to have everything ready for 6:00 pm Sunday dinner and so had the UDS loaded by 6:00am.

I was worried about the temp kicking up quickly and actually loaded the UDS a little too cool, but the temp did come up much faster then on the WSM. No harm done other than a diminished smoke ring.

Norcoredneck had mentioned to hold the temp close to 200 on the dial to hit the right temp on the grate and worked it like a charm.

Once the temp was at about 203 on the dial and 234 on the center grate the UDS locked in and held steady until the wind picked up. But even then it only took a small air intake adjustment to lock in again.

At around 3:30 internal temps were about 188 and off the brisket came - smelled great. Separated the point, chopped it and in a pan it went back into the smoker. The flat went into a cooler for a rest. I also added a few ABT's for an appetizer. 4:15 the ABTs came off and the endz stayed on but were starting to look and smell real good.

Finally at 5:30 I sliced the flat and took the endz off for dinner.

The slices were tender and tasty but a little dry. Nothing a brush of sauce didn't cure. Next time I will foil during the cook and maybe add some apple juice. The endz were great and enjoyed by all - never seem to be enough. Always room for improvement, but overall I was pleased with the first UDS smoke and am thankful for all the great info everyone has shared.

18.5 weber kettle,22.5 OTS, ECB, WSM, UDS and a Splash Proof Ultra Fast [COLOR=orange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
jlough69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Looks great

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Wow, nice looking UDS! Burnt ends look farken great. Was it probe tender at 188? As repeated often around here, briskets are "done when they are done", but 188 might have been a little low, resulting in a slightly undercooked flat. Briskets can be done from 185 all the way up to 205 and up, they are picky bunch.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."

Last edited by Saiko; 08-02-2009 at 10:31 PM..
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Nice job that all looks good, those ends look realy good

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

looking good, congrats on the new cooker.
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
Wyatt
Full Fledged Farker

dang that looks good
[B]Pit Master: Team Boy-B-Que[/B]
[I][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Grandpa's Griller[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]1 new UDS (Big Tex)[/FONT][/I]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][I]ECB (Smokin' Fox)[/I] Soon to be Modified.[/FONT]
Also is only a 13 year old:bow:
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

That looks terrific and very tasty.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #8
jlough69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Was it probe tender at 188? As repeated often around here, briskets are "done when they are done", but 188 might have been a little low, resulting in a slightly undercooked flat. Briskets can be done from 185 all the way up to 205 and up, they are picky bunch.
They sure can be picky. I probably could have left it on a little longer as I hadn't hit butter yet. My last brisket was a big 17 lber done on the WSM was overdone and just falling apart so I wanted to make sure I could slice this one.

Is there any benefit in separating the point from the flat at the beginning of the cook?

18.5 weber kettle,22.5 OTS, ECB, WSM, UDS and a Splash Proof Ultra Fast [COLOR=orange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen

Old 08-03-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I still haven't mounted handles on my drums yet. I know you said your drum is new, but are you happy with the handle location so far?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Nice Cooker!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #11
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice job...Good looking smoker...Need to get started on mine.....

Firecrackerjack

Old 08-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #12
jlough69

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I still haven't mounted handles on my drums yet. I know you said your drum is new, but are you happy with the handle location so far?
Handles seem good - makes moving much easier than without. I can pick the UDS up cool by myself and carry it, or have someone grap a side if hot though I try not to move the drum then. I also tried to place them at a comfortable carrying height so I wouldn't have to hold the drum up in the air to move it.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
jlough69

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement!

I am planning on smoking two butts and two packers along with some ABTs and Fatties this coming weekend for a family party (for 4 and am more comfortable with the prospect after seeing how the UDS cooks. Hopefully I will be able to swing some more photos.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Great looking burnt ends.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote