Hamburger au Poivre [lots of pron]

emtnate

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Up tonight, a twist on one of my favorite "fancy" dinners, steak au poivre. I have been craving an over the top burger, so I went that direction. Honestly, filet would have been cheaper.

First, the meat. This is a blend of about 2/3 Chuck and 1/3 short rib. Cut into chunks and into the freezer for a few minutes. Meanwhile, minced a shallot for the sauce, threw some yellow potatoes in the oven, and started the coals.

Yd5Bh3k.jpg

The meat was ground up and mixed together. Shaped the patties. Don't hold back, this is at least 1/2lb and thick. Melted some butter in a sauce pan and cooked the shallots until they were soft.

BXEKp5M.jpg

Liberally coated the burgers with coarse ground black pepper. Also added a few grinds of pepper to the cooked shallots. Started the burger on indirect heat since it is so thick.

MwrJ7J8.jpg

I1LHEPZ.jpg

Cooked for 10 minutes on one side, 5 on the other. Then direct heat to sear each side and give a good crust to the peppercorns. Also added a shot of cognac to the sauce, burned off the alcohol, and added chicken stock, bringing it all to a simmer. Add heavy cream and bring to a simmer again, whisking until it thickens and just coats the spoon. Finish it with a little dijon mustard and keep warm for serving.

When the potatoes are done, melt some butter in your iron skillet. Smash the potatoes under heavy glass so they look like small pancakes. Season with salt and pepper then fry them in the melted butter until each side is nice and crisp.

Also toasted some nice buns on the grill and melted provolone over the burgers.

hHPgITE.jpg

That's a lot of work for a burger. Good thing I'm on night shift tomorrow and can sleep in. The bottom bun was given a good spread of dijon mustard and topped with a slice of tomato and red onions. Next the burger with melted cheese, the cognac-cream sauce, and the top bun.

90eXcDc.jpg

Thanks for looking.

It tasted great, hit the spot for sure. My wife thought it was a bit much and said she'd have rather had the steak. Oh well.

Wow. :shock:

I don't know anywhere around here I could get something like that.... and I want one.

Meh... perhaps "carb overload" with the bun AND the 'taters.... whatever.

Looks absolutely delicious. Well done, indeed.

Appreciate the play-by-play. I don't know that I'll go all-out on the burger meat, but I could totally do the rest of it and CINCHOUSE would be thrilled.

Back