MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #286
Rib Rub
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
Wouldn't work here. Our rain comes in sideways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
This is why when I had an addition and a backyard patio built onto the back of the house, I made sure there was a good 9' of cover over the patio, don't care how hard it rains unless it's a Hurricane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Weld View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I was looking at the mak smokers, I just wasn’t sure I wanted to spend that on a smoker yet. I did just get into smoking. Lol I do like the smell and taste of the stick burner Q though. If the mak replicates that, I may just look into getting one. I know with pellet smokers, getting the smoke flavor could be tough. That’s why I was asking what everyone in this thread thought..

Decisions decisions. Hmm
I think allot of people have said that the MAK gives a great smoke flavor like a stick burner. As I said above I finally did my first batch of ribs on my MAK 2 and the first thing I noticed was the smoke flavor. Was much better than the camp chef. I think you would be highly impressed with the smoke off the MAK.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:56 AM   #287
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Did a rib cook yesterday MAK vs Hunsaker Drum.

WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #288
Dr. Weld
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Dr. Weld

Does anyone have any thoughts on Grilla smokers? They seem to get many rave reviews and seemed to be built decently well.

As I said in a another thread, so many options and companies to choose from. Uggh.
Dr. Weld is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #289
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks like good quality, customer service, and value. Not made here that I know of, but some podcasts seem to like them. I had them shortlisted due to short drive over the border. But decided on a ys640 because of the fit and finish. Price difference was huge but I am happy. At least until my first cold weather cook and I wish I had the double wall construction.
SmokePigTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #290
Camille Eonich
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleebus.jones View Post
So I think I've found the solution for the leathery/rubbery skin. It's a combination of a few things I've heard/done over the years.

To get the skin to crisp up/be edible, you need to dehydrate it and render it (duh!) but doing that correctly is the trick. Now when I was oven cooking pork belly (skin on) in the UK, everyone always said to rub the skin with salt so it will crisp up properly (OMG pork belly cracklin' is the best) so that's what I always did and ended up with nice crispy skin. Oil is the second trick to get things to render quickly.

So, on to the tricks.

1. Pre-season your yardbird about 30 minutes before you cook it. If your rub has salt, you're good. If it doesn't, you may want to consider salting, then applying the rub. If you can't tolerate salt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. Oil yer bird. I saw a recipe that recommended buttering the chicken, then applying rub. What a giant pain in the butt that was, messy and not very effective. I put the rub on, they spray it down with olive oil and LET IT SIT. This is part of the 30 min rest thing. The spices will absorb the oil and then they won't burn, and the oil will naturally spread itself out into a nice even coating. The big thing here is that the oil helps with heat transfer to the skin to render it. It also helps prevent the skin from drying out. Don't leave this step out.

3. Bird goes on the pellet smoker skin side down first. Cook for 30 mins before flipping. This starts rendering the skin, since heat mainly comes from the bottom up on a pellet smoker, hence putting it skin side down. I cook at 275°. You can go higher, but I probably wouldn't exceed 300°, but feel free to experiment. Once you flip, you've probably got 15 mins until it's done.

I've been doing chicken this way for a while and have had good success. Haven't tested it with a whole bird, obviously hard to put that skin side down unless spatchcocked.

Ok I haven't read the whole thread yet but I have to comment on the chicken skin. If you want the skin to crisp up well it needs to be dry when it goes into the heat. The easiest way to do that is to put the chicken in the fridge on a rack and let the fridge dry the skin out. I usually just thaw my roasters on a rack set down in a casserole dish so they thaw and the skin dries at the same time.

Alternatively if your chicken is fresh and you need to dry out the skin you can bring in a back up skin dryer AKA a hair dryer. Yep it works.

link is to a google search so that you can have your choice of articles to read about using a hair dryer on chicken skin.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dryi...nt=firefox-b-1

You may all thank me later.
Camille Eonich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2018, 04:31 PM   #291
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokePigTails View Post
Looks like good quality, customer service, and value. Not made here that I know of, but some podcasts seem to like them. I had them shortlisted due to short drive over the border. But decided on a ys640 because of the fit and finish. Price difference was huge but I am happy. At least until my first cold weather cook and I wish I had the double wall construction.
I am sure I will never see cold like you, but my ys640 performed perfectly in sub zero temps this winter. If it's in your budget, you might consider the insulated jacket, that they sell. I really like mine. If you don't want to spend the $$ on the jacket, invest in some welding blankets. Just drape them over the cooker. Hope you enjoy your Yoder as much as I do mine.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #292
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Drying the skin definitely helps, but the easiest, quickest way to get good chicken skin, is up your cooking temp. Chicken absorbs smoke very well, doesn't need the long cook. Go 400+ degrees, and it will come out crispy and delicious. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Eonich View Post
Ok I haven't read the whole thread yet but I have to comment on the chicken skin. If you want the skin to crisp up well it needs to be dry when it goes into the heat. The easiest way to do that is to put the chicken in the fridge on a rack and let the fridge dry the skin out. I usually just thaw my roasters on a rack set down in a casserole dish so they thaw and the skin dries at the same time.

Alternatively if your chicken is fresh and you need to dry out the skin you can bring in a back up skin dryer AKA a hair dryer. Yep it works.

link is to a google search so that you can have your choice of articles to read about using a hair dryer on chicken skin.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dryi...nt=firefox-b-1

You may all thank me later.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #293
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Did a rib cook yesterday MAK vs Hunsaker Drum.

Even though we are in this thread, you didn't state who was the winner?

Old 07-04-2018, 12:43 AM   #294
SmittyJonz

So Anybody liking the RecTecs? Or No?

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 07-04-2018 at 01:34 AM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2018, 02:36 AM   #295
SmokePigTails
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
So Anybody liking the RecTecs? Or No?
They have a very dedicated following on Facebook, and I think a few members have them. I have never heard anything bad. I can honestly say that if I was in the US the decision would have been very difficult to make. REC TEC, Grilla, MAK, Yoder, Blazn. If I was in Texas Pitts and Spitts would probably have been the winner.
SmokePigTails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2018, 08:18 AM   #296
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I'm planning to add a RecTec to my arsenal soon. I may even given up my beloved FPG500 and use the RecTec for my direct grilling.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2018, 11:12 AM   #297
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

I was hoping that I could find out a bit more information / comparison on the different pellet smokers by actual users. Opinions on the Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250 ? Seems that it's mostly MAK and Yoder. thx
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #298
SmittyJonz

RecTec Stampede looks like Sumthing......

Old 07-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #299
SmittyJonz

This Looks Good.?

http://www.blazngrillworks.com/the-grid-iron/

Old 07-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #300
SmittyJonz

If’n I Bump my Head and go Looney - RecTec Stampede looks about right.......