Inexpensive knives - why not go to Thailand!

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Good day all! There are regularly posts from folks asking about knives. I wanted to share my experience with some cheap knives that are quite useful.

I'm a Scout leader and regularly looking for decent quality tools for the Troop. I've tried several different inexpensive knives over the past several years since the boys are so hard on them/lose them. As part of this process, I bought a set of these cheap Kiwi brand knives. They're made in Thailand and this set of two was $11.15 when I purchased them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008QP3PTE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are NOT ideal for Scouts. While the price is right, I believe they're too thin to be able to hold up to Scout use. The handles are cheap wood and kind of thin. They aren't full tang. They're cheap stamped steel. The blades are quite thin and pretty flexible. They're also wickedly sharp and make meal prep a joy!

I was pleased enough with them that I've purchased sets for my nephews who are just starting out. The older nephew recently got his first apartment post college/just starting new job and was starting with nothing for his kitchen. I bought a set of these as part of a package of kitchen tools/do-dads, spices, cutting boards, colanders, mixing bowls, etc. to help get him situated. His younger brother was just getting into an apartment at school and being off the school meal plan. He also needed cooking implements so, he got hooked up as well.

If people are looking for an inexpensive option for when they're traveling, or if you're just starting out and don't have a lot of money, or if you just don't want to spend a boatload on knives but still want something useful with which to prep, these are (to me anyway) an exceptional value. I'm now using them more than what had been my usual knives of choice for daily prep, Victorinox. They arrive incredibly sharp and touch up beautifully with a ceramic steel once that initial sharpness starts to fade.

Bruce

I went ahead and placed an order because it seemed like a fun $12 experiment. It looks like I ordered the last set they had in stock. Now the page is showing that it will be back in stock on 4/13.

Appreciate these threads. Not everyone wants to drop a grand on knives. Now cookers... different story.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I went ahead and placed an order because it seemed like a fun $12 experiment. It looks like I ordered the last set they had in stock. Now the page is showing that it will be back in stock on 4/13.

Guess they have more in stock again. I just placed an order using the link, and will have them on Saturday. Looking forward to giving them a go!

Yep, bought some of those from some online store a few years back. Yes, wickedly sharp, but thin blade. Dropped one on the kitchen floor and the tip bent. Still using them. Other good inexpensive knives are the cheap IKEA knives. Have had a couple of those for probably 15-20 years.

All this mass buying is running up the price! They are $14.99 now :laugh:

177564_62682.png

Morakniv may be inexpensive, but they make darn good knives for the money! I have several, and keep one in every emergency kit. The filet knife is excellent!

For sure! I have a couple of the camp knives I keep around the house, one I use as my personal steak knife 😆 I plan on buying more when I can.

I can't follow whatever you're trying to go with because I'm a knife snob. Most of my hand knives and fixed blades are made of supersteels. If it's not m4, cpm3v or CPM 154 I have no respect for it at all

Awesome thread Bruce!

I started with expensive knives like Shun, GW, Cutco etc and I gave 'em way. I only stick to cheap German or Japanese steel knives and beat the crap out of them. They work great. All I do is run 'em through my Ken Onion Work Sharp occasionally and that's it.

I learned all this from my favorite Japanese sushi chef I frequent when I asked him about knives. He laughed at me when I told him how much I paid for knives. He said the most he paid for his knives is $20 from Japanese markets we have here that import stuff in.

Haven't paid more than $20 for these. I've got a box full that I haven't used yet and here some

DlI9mDYh.jpg

Q5CCw61h.jpg

aSorTgFh.jpg

o6L1NsFh.jpg

Last edited:
We have and use Kiwi knives a lot, cheap as dust and sharpen very well
Throw out every 12 months or less and replace with $7.00 chef knives
Posted heaps of times here

After starting off with the above knives, I decided to add to the collection. Picked up one of the larger chef's knives:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FEJ0WO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a very handy knife size and shape. Arrived quite sharp. Blade is thicker and a bit longer than smaller deba style knives that were sold as a two pack. The handle isn't great, but the knife itself handles beautifully. At ease prepping veg as well as trimming/breaking down steaks. Seems more than reasonable for $11.

Getting ready for a modest fundraiser cook this weekend. Expecting to go through ~5 briskets, 10 pork butts, and a bunch of chicken...should be a good test. We'll see how it holds up!

Bruce

I have the 6" and 8" versions of these, and am getting ready to replace them with the same knives. I just have to keep my wife from putting them in the dishwasher and cutting directly on the granite. Even with all the abuse she gave these, they still held up great. The new one's are going straight into my BBQ box. I really like the handle of these when I have grease on my hands... not slippery.

https://www.messermeister.com/collections/german-knives-fillet-knives/products/four-seasons-8-inch-flexible-fillet-knife?variant=8211055476787

i've had a set of Kiwi knives from about the time I joined the forum, back in 2010 or so. I think Patio Daddio recommended them in a review. I bought mine from The Wok Shop out in San Fran. Here's an updated link to the knives on their website:

https://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/inshkiknfrth.html

I also have one of their cleavers which was inexpensive but does a great job with meat bones, etc. The Kiwi knives are easily sharpened, hold an edge for a decent amount of time but are for veggies only. You just can't go wrong given how inexpensive they are.

I also had a carbon steel wok but it suffered fatal damage when something heavy fell on it. If I didn't have the Blackstone I'd be ordering a replacement from their site.

Back