• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Monster Corned Beef Patramization (lots of pics)

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that a word? If not, it should be :-D

Avid readers may recall my dilemma on how to handle this huge corned beef from Restaurant Depot.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123162

I decided to cut it up and vac-u-suck some pieces for later and cook a couple of chunks for pastrami. Here's the progress so far...

The corned beef is Bea's Best brand from Restaurant Depot.

6ebe08df.jpg

I have not tried this brand but friends have and say that it is excellent. However, the local RD (Lombard, IL) only had monster briskets in stock. Here is the brisket with a ruler so you can get an idea of the size. It is sitting on a Smokey Mountain Smokers 18" x 24" disposable cutting board.

763cf86e.jpg

e8ba081a.jpg

This was the smallest one in the case and it weighed almost 20 lbs!

2c6bae24.jpg

Here it is out of the cryovac, before any trimming.

a697d82c.jpg

e91babf6.jpg

I trimmed it much like I would for a fresh brisket, removing the hard fat and thinning the fat cap to about 1/4", then I removed the point and cut the flat into four chunks.

be469bc7.jpg

I vac-u-sucked the point separately and vac-u-sucked the two smaller flat pieces in one package and put them in the freezer for later use. The two larger flat pieces went into gallon zip bags with fresh water to soak. Since I've never used this brand I went for 48 hours with two changes of water.

This morning I pulled the Memphis Pro out of the garage and started it up.

74aacfce.jpg

I gave the two corned beef flat chunks a nice coating of ThirdEye's pastrami rub and let them sit while the Pro came up to temp.

d04d86bb.jpg

The corned beef chunks went into the Pro at 250 degrees at about 8:15am.

f519d5a8.jpg

The plan is to smoke them until they hit 165 - 170 internal (or until tender) and then foil and rest for an hour, then chill before slicing. Then we'll have pastrami Ruebens for dinner :-D

More to come later...

Looks fantastic!! Personally I like to take them to 160F internal, foil with some water (AKA steam) and then to 200F. Then towel & cooler for at least an hour. Oh so tender. Cheers!!!

Oh yeah! You can pastramize me any time Ron! Can't wait for the big finish.

Looks fantastic!! Personally I like to take them to 160F internal, foil with some water (AKA steam) and then to 200F. Then towel & cooler for at least an hour. Oh so tender. Cheers!!!

Thanks... I've read about that method here. Since I have two chunks I may try that with one of them. Is it too tender to slice thin if you take it to 200 internal?

Thanks... I've read about that method here. Since I have two chunks I may try that with one of them. Is it too tender to slice thin if you take it to 200 internal?

If you try to slice it hot, yes, cool it and slice when cold and the fat & collegen will hold it together, even when you rehaet it for hot sammies. I prefer it steamed till tender, it's alot juicier and not so tough IMO

Love me some home made pastrami. How much per pound was the brisket? I need to stop by RD for the family's restaurant today, maybe I'll grab one. Side note, its always funny when I go to RD for Chinese food restaurant supplies and walk out with a random piece of meat that doesnt fit the standard Chinese food bill.

Thanks... Is it too tender to slice thin if you take it to 200 internal?
I'd have to say yes. I usually don't slice until after it's chilled, although I have been known to sneak a few sample slices when it's still warm but those I would not consider thin. Cheers!!!

If you try to slice it hot, yes, cool it and slice when cold and the fat & collegen will hold it together, even when you rehaet it for hot sammies. I prefer it steamed till tender, it's alot juicier and not so tough IMO

It's all about the slice.

cooked to 200 will cause a thin slice (cut on slicer) to fall apart.
I prefer to pull at ~170 & steam before serving (like Guerry said).

Sliced thin against the grain will make it very tender even at 170F. :thumb:

Love me some home made pastrami. How much per pound was the brisket? I need to stop by RD for the family's restaurant today, maybe I'll grab one. Side note, its always funny when I go to RD for Chinese food restaurant supplies and walk out with a random piece of meat that doesnt fit the standard Chinese food bill.

It was $2.59/lb.

I used thirdeyes method. Foiled at 165 with beer. Pulled at 195-200 and let it rest. Used my slicer and sliced thin It was awesome

Never ever seen a brisket that large in my life.
Lucky to find a 12-14# pounder around here let alone a corned one that size.

I am sure it will taste just fine RonL.

Here are the pastrami chunks after 4 hours...

64f4b6ca.jpg

Both were around 160 internal so I foiled both with beer. I'm going to pull one at 170-ish and rest and chill. The other I am going to let go to around 200, rest and chill. We'll see how the two methods compare.

What good is size if you jusy lay there :p

Nice start there Cap'n Ronnie

Back