Cold Smokin Cheese...

The Grill Sergeant

Full Fledged Farker
I don't know what in the fark got into me today, but I saw a thread where you could make a cold smoker out of a tin can and a soldering iron. Since I had wanted to learn how to smoke cheese, and this looked more than simple, I jumped on it and have been smoking cheese all afternoon.

Here is a pic of the cold smoker and my field notes:

I opened a can of peas, bent the top back a bit > drilled a hole in the bottom > put about half a can of smoking wood chips in it. I got a roast rack and raised it just enough to clear the can > turned it upside down and put a grate over the top to hold the cheese.

Good gawd! Talk about easy peazy!

As this was my first attempt, & I didn't want a bunch of ruined high $ cheeses, the cheeses I chose were cheap store brands of co-jack, swiss & cheddar.

1st test was with Maple smokin wood which produced quite a bit of smoke and cooked about 74 degrees for the duration of the cook - 45 min. The swiss and the chedar started melting.

2nd test was w Cherry. Moved the swiss and cheddar further from the heat source and the co-jack closer. Cherry didn't produce as much smoke and burned cooler (58 degrees). Therefore, I smoked this test for 1.5 hrs.

3rd was Mesquite. Produces modest smoke @ modest temps (55-56 degrees).

Cheddar is good but so far my favorite is Maple with all the cheeses.

4th was Jack Daniels - excellent smoke quickly with low temps. The burn got up to 72 degrees and at 61 degrees, there was limited smoke.

5th was Hickory: Delivered great smoke @ low temps - 45 degrees only 10 minutes in. @ 14 minutes 68 degrees with exceptionally nice smoke - 18 min. in - nicer smoke yet. 28 min in @ 79 degrees only limited smoke & at 31 minutes 82 degrees but virtually no smoke.

6th was Apple. I surprised me cuz it burned hotter than all the rest AND gave excellent flavor. 8 min in @ 72 degrees minimal smoke. 10 min in temp @ 80 degrees minimal smoke. 21 min in@ 92 degrees only modest smoke. 28 min in @ 107 degrees excellent smoke. 32 min in @ 114 degrees only limited smoke. Had to keep moving cheese further from the heat source and still the co-jack melted a bit.

I think I favor the apple smoke above all those woods tested and as importantly, there is a special Club Cracker that I favor - it's the Keebler Buttery Garlic. It improved the flavor of everything.

Last edited:
If you need to keep the temps down a little, fill a few empty soda cans with water about 3/4 of the way and freeze. Then put them in whatever you use to cold smoke in. This will get ice in there to cool the chamber down and not get water everywhere. I noticed when I smoked cheese if it got a little too warm the cheese will soften a little. This was a good way to control the temp.

Back