• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Catering Invoicing Question...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
What is the general opinion for charging a gratuity? Is it common practice or too presumptuous?

We do not charge gratuity or a service fee of any kind. I just don't believe in it. We are compensated adequately for the meals we provide. It states that on our website, but it also states that gratuities for good service are welcomed and shared with service staff. Last year, with 15+ events (75-200 people), we got stiffed on all but three. My crew works their ass off to provide exceptional service, I can list examples from just about every job where we went "above and beyond"... it gets kind of frustrating. I usually present the invoice after service so they have an opportunity to 'pad' the cheque, but that doesn't seem to help. So in 2010 I am adding a comment to the bottom of the invoice to suggest a gratuity that will be shared with the service staff. A gentle reminder.

I add it in to all catering gigs. This is standard for my area, if you do not add it you won't get it majority of the time. YMMV!

You do as many weddings as we do and you may change your mind about adding a gratuity, lol!

Please keep this conversation civil. It gets out of hand on other forums!

Same here - Standard gratuity for groups over 50. Makes up for all the extras that you end up doing for large groups. Our invoices are due in full 10 days in advance - Very standard for this area.

I have not seen it here locally on the few catering sites I have visited...until I do I'll leave the gratuity up to the customer. Thanks for your input. :cool:

It's a market thing. If caterers in your market(like the west coast) do so, you would be crazy not to.

If your market is like mine, you'd never get away with it.

I wish I could, but I can't...

Everyone in my area expects to be charged a gratuity and we add it to all invoices and it is disclosed on the bid. Every restaurant in our area charges a gratuity for large groups automatically.

JD, do some more research in your area, it seems to be a standard practice to auto grat in the Seattle/Tacoma market.

i wouldnt do it.
in california, even gas station attendants have a tip jar.
haha.
i just do my job.
jm2c

We call it a service charge but yes we do it. And we earn every penny of it.

Let me jump in here as a consumer...

If you charge me it's not a gratuity...it's a charge. I you add on a service fee or "gratuity" that's all you're going to get. And in my case you normally short change yourself.

And I have been known to subtract the "charged" gratuity if the service did not reach the level of service I would expect for the money charged me.

Personally, I don't believe a "service charge" or "gratuity" should be added. As a consumer I would prefer you actually charge me what you think the product/service is worth.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Let me jump in here as a consumer...

If you charge me it's not a gratuity...it's a charge. I you add on a service fee or "gratuity" that's all you're going to get. And in my case you normally short change yourself.

Personally, I don't believe a "service charge" or "gratuity" should be added. As a consumer I would prefer you actually charge me what you think the product/service is worth.
Just my 2 cents worth...

I would have to agree with this for the most part. Charge me what you want for your service. If the help gets $10/hr and you think they should be "tipped" 20%, then charge $12/hr and pay them accordingly. Then, you don't get stiffed. And, you still might get something extra, but, don't need to worry about it if you made it part of the price. But, what do I know. I'm just the customer writing the check.

We cater a bunch and charge what we need to. A gratuity is just that. Don't ask for it, you'll look cheap. We've gotten a $2000 tip, once, but usually get nothing. We get re-hired a bunch.

Back