Flat Iron Steak

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Grilled up a flat iron steak along with some potatoes and Texas 1015 onions.

There are also a couple more pics on my blog.

Attachments

• IMG_4051.JPG
    IMG_4051.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Man, that looks good, Ty.....How long did the potatoes take? I've never cooked slices like that on the grill.....

Man, that looks good, Ty.....How long did the potatoes take? I've never cooked slices like that on the grill.....

I think they went about 10-15 min. Depends on thickness. They do great. I've done russets and red potatoes. Hit em with a shot of Pam and sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper, or Tony Chachere's. Same as with the sweet onions. The taters crisp up like fries. I cook them over about a med to med/high temp.

Last edited:
Looks great. I've never seen a flat iron steak in a store here. I have seen them offered at local restaurants. If I understand correctly, it's a beef chuck, top blade steak, cut to remove the gristle. This week's local HyVee ad has "Blue Ribbon Beef, boneless chuck tender fillet" advertised at $5.99. The ad states "Great NEW cut of beef". Advertising hype I understand. HyVee can not create a "new" cut of beef. Cattle have been cattle, with the same bone and muscle structure for a long time. $5.99 for beef chuck sounds completely ridiculous to me. T bone is $7.99. Never the less, I'll be getting some "Blue Ribbon Beef, boneless chuck tender fillet" Friday. May be a new adventure. Worse thing that can happen is that I get to eat my mistakes. What a hobby!

I think they went about 10-15 min. Depends on thickness. They do great. I've done russets and red potatoes. Hit em with a shot of Pam and sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper, or Tony Chachere's. Same as with the sweet onions. The taters crisp up like fries. I cook them over about a med to med/high temp.
They do look good!! I like to toss my slices with some Newman's Italian dressing and add cracked black pepper. So many ways to season potatoes, eh?

Looks great. I've never seen a flat iron steak in a store here. I have seen them offered at local restaurants. If I understand correctly, it's a beef chuck, top blade steak, cut to remove the gristle. This week's local HyVee ad has "Blue Ribbon Beef, boneless chuck tender fillet" advertised at $5.99. The ad states "Great NEW cut of beef". Advertising hype I understand. HyVee can not create a "new" cut of beef. Cattle have been cattle, with the same bone and muscle structure for a long time. $5.99 for beef chuck sounds completely ridiculous to me. T bone is $7.99. Never the less, I'll be getting some "Blue Ribbon Beef, boneless chuck tender fillet" Friday. May be a new adventure. Worse thing that can happen is that I get to eat my mistakes. What a hobby!

The way it was explained to me from a Nebraska beef rancher was that the style of cutting was what was developed and the resulting steaks were marketed. So they came up with a new item from an old product. It's similar to the way baby back ribs or tri tip were marketed. Anytime you can save something from being ground beef..... Anyways, they are not $5.99 out west (yet) and are a nice steak, especially sliced thin for sammies or fajitas.

6a692530.jpg

The way it was explained to me from a Nebraska beef rancher was that the style of cutting was what was developed and the resulting steaks were marketed. So they came up with a new item from an old product. It's similar to the way baby back ribs or tri tip were marketed. Anytime you can save something from being ground beef..... Anyways, they are not $5.99 out west (yet) and are a nice steak, especially sliced thin for sammies or fajitas.

6a692530.jpg

ThirdEye - unbelieveable... That camera of yours even makes raw beef look appetizing...

They say the flat iron is second to the beef tenderloin for tenderness. I cooked one up on Friday night for the first time. It was one of the best I've had in a while.

i get them when they are on sale at kroger's for $4.99 per pound. got three today

Got them at a Dillon's (Kroger) about 2 weeks ago for 3.99lb. They are a pretty good piece of meat. I prefer Ribeyes to just about anything for steaks, but I would take a Flat Iron over a KC/ NY Strip or T/Bone unless it had a huge Filet side if I was the one cooking.

Looking good. We have a meat market here that sells some steaks they named after the owners, I wonder if they are Flat Iron's. I am going to check what cuts they are because they are very tender.

Never tried Flat Irons but those look good enough to make me get a couple the next time I'm in Krogers!!

I thought I was sleep posting until I saw this was brought up from last year.

Back