2008 KCBS TOY Results announced

http://www.kcbs.us/team-of-the-year.php

Anyone know the final team count of teams that competed at the full 10 contests ?

Congrats to all the Brethren who placed well !!! For those who didn't go get 'em in 2009 !!!

I don't understand the point system. A team only does well if they compete in at least 10 contests? I could only compete in 4 and placed in the top 5 in three with one GC but finished 300 something. Whatever.

This was the original KCBS release on the changes

http://www.kcbs.us/news.php?id=26

I would assume it is techincally possible for a team to compete in slightly under 10 and still place well assuming they dominate at the events they compete at and those events also have high team count.

That was my whole arguement at the begininning of the season when the annouced the new scoring system and doubled the # of contests to be counted from 5 to 10. There certainly needs to be a mininum contest count criteria (kind of line at-bats in baseball for the batting avg. crown) but 10 seems high when only a small % hit that minimum count.

Out of 4000+ teams if only 50-100 teams (assumption on my part) are competing 10-30 times a year, I don't see how this puts the majority of teams in the running. I guess TOY in KCBS eyes is also based on who is out on the road the most.

The TOY, Munch Hogs won 6 GC's out of 26 events competed.. Pretty Good, right ?? Sure is.. but the reserve TOY, Cool Smoke won 7 GC's in only 15 events competed... Pellet Envy won 8 GC's in 21 events....

Not taking anything away from Munch Hogs but as a % of wins to contests completed, Cool Smoke is pretty damn impressive and even Pellet Envy has a higher win %.

So many ways to look at this but in my mind 10 contests is still too high to cater to the majority of teams/KCBS members.

http://www.kcbs.us/team-of-the-year.php

Anyone know the final team count of teams that competed at the full 10 contests ?

Congrats to all the Brethren who placed well !!! For those who didn't go get 'em in 2009 !!!

I am not certain of the exact number but it appears to be more than 40 teams and less than 50 teams that competed in at least 10 contest.

Yours in Que
Merl Whitebook

Hey...we only made one contest this year (had to cancel everything else due to work trips) and we were still 1000 from the bottom! Sweet!

We competed in 9 contests and finished 51. The scoring system does favor those that cook more than ten contests and also in large contest as bonus points are added based on the number of teams in the contest. Example 50 teams 50 points added to the score for each competitor in the contest. I like the new system but 10 contests is out of reach for most people. We'll try and fit in a 10th contest if possible this year. Congratulations to all Brethren who competed this year! It would be nice to see some sort of Division added for those who compete in over 5 but under 10 but the system would still favor under the current method those teams that cook in 9 contests.

We competed in 9 contests and finished 51. The scoring system does favor those that cook more than ten contests and also in large contest as bonus points are added based on the number of teams in the contest. Example 50 teams 50 points added to the score for each competitor in the contest. I like the new system. We'll try and fit in a 10th contest if possible this year. Congratulations to all Brethren who competed this year!

51... That's pretty good !!! Congrats !!!

Now assuming you did a 10th contest and came in dead ass last place in a 100 team event, you would have gained an additional 125 pts and would have moved up almost 15 spots to about 35th place...

That's what I don't like about the scoring system.

I am not certain of the exact number but it appears to be more than 40 teams and less than 50 teams that competed in at least 10 contest.

Yours in Que
Merl Whitebook

how many of them are in the top 50? are all of them in the top 75? 100?

51... That's pretty good !!! Congrats !!!

Now assuming you did a 10th contest and came in dead ass last place in a 100 team event, you would have gained an additional 125 pts and would have moved up almost 15 spots to about 35th place...

That's what I don't like about the scoring system.

Thank you, we were very excited. This is only our third year competing and we learned a lot this year and credit most of it to the classes we took and the information we got from forums such as this one.

I do agree that the system has its flaws and a team that just squeezes out the ten minimum contests in order to max out the number of potential points is still at a competitive disadvantage to teams that compete at the next level, say 20 contests or more because as I understand it, they only count the top 10 highest scores. Short of head to head elimination contests though I'm not sure how they could come up with an overall champion or system that is fair to everyone. It's kind of like College Football. We need a playoff system or at least a Divisional System like College Football. Maybe that is the answer.

Big Creek finished 249th overall. Not bad for six contests. Ribs was our best category this year (chicken a close second) when it was ALWAYS our worst every year before. And pork, what carried us in many contests in the past, kicked our butts (no pun intended) in '08.

Just a quick glance at some names. Rhythym N Que at 24, Plowboys at 26. WOW. Smoke on wheels 70. Otis & the Bird 73. Nice!

Totally Que-less at 825. :icon_blush: May be we should do more than 2 contests per year.

Thank you, we were very excited. This is only our third year competing and we learned a lot this year and credit most of it to the classes we took and the information we got from forums such as this one.

I do agree that the system has its flaws and a team that just squeezes out the ten minimum contests in order to max out the number of potential points is still at a competitive disadvantage to teams that compete at the next level, say 20 contests or more because as I understand it, they only count the top 10 highest scores. Short of head to head elimination contests though I'm not sure how they could come up with an overall champion or system that is fair to everyone. It's kind of like College Football. We need a playoff system or at least a Divisional System like College Football. Maybe that is the answer.

I agree. I'd do 20 contests a year if I had the time or resources but can only squeak out 4-5 and make the most of them.

I wish they would have their listings like the Pickled Pig where you can click the team and see where the points came from.

Also agree that 10 is too many. Some teams due to geographic location, crappy contests, and schedules just can't fit in 10. Like here in Iowa, we have a contest every weekend in June and July with the exception of the 4th. That's 8 weeks of continued contest and 9 if you could the next one in August.

This one is probably way off base but here it goes...

I don't believe KCBS counts teams for TOY that are not members of KCBS, however those non-member team placings go into the mix and change the total points awarded for a contest..

Ex. If a non KCBS team takes a GC, that automatically deducts 250 pts from the total pts to be awarded at a contest... The RGC gets 250+ pts but from a KCBS membership perspective they were the highest placing team... Should they be granted additional points ?

I think this is another reason KCBS should require all teams who compete under their judging system to be KCBS members.

Competition BBQ is a very expensive sport and unfortunately favors those with the resources (i.e. time and money) over those doing it primarily as a hobby. For a select few, this is their livelihood and they are very good and consistent at it. Fortunately for us these are generally the same people that give so much back to the sport in the way of classes or just helping out new teams. I've been around for a long time (more years than I'd like to admit) and I can honestly say that I have never been associated with a competitive sport like BBQ where the competition chooses to help others like BBQ does. And thats what make BBQ competitiors special in my opinion.

And the other nice thing is that despite all the flaws in the system, complaints about scoring or judging on any given Friday, Saturday, or even Sunday a little known team can suit up against the big guys and have a chance to walk, win,or do well at a contest. In my opinion there is nothing like competition BBQ and I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for all the help that has been so unselfishfly given over the past years.

Happy New Years to everyone and keep the tradition of giving back to others strong in 2009.

Dallas

This one is probably way off base but here it goes...

I don't believe KCBS counts teams for TOY that are not members of KCBS, however those non-member team placings go into the mix and change the total points awarded for a contest..

Ex. If a non KCBS team takes a GC, that automatically deducts 250 pts from the total pts to be awarded at a contest... The RGC gets 250+ pts but from a KCBS membership perspective they were the highest placing team... Should they be granted additional points ?

I think this is another reason KCBS should require all teams who compete under their judging system to be KCBS members.

I agree, I don't think a $35 membership is too much to ask for those that choose to compete in KCBS sanctioned contests. When you consider how much it costs to compete at a single contest, $35 is insignificant especially if we are only asking one member on a team to be a member. And without KCBS sanctioning and uniformity in rules, judging etc. competition BBQ would not be what it is today.

Yep, 70th for smoke on wheels this year.... I had a couple contests as the HoDeDos as well, and a few others that would have helped our TOY placement - but I'm cool with it!

Honestly TOY doesnt hold a candle to my 2008. Getting to cook (and win) with Todd last year, and the success Kim and I got to share.... Winning Pork @ Hot Springs with #1 meathead, winning Pork with Todd at the AMR Invitational... AMR Open... Getting to share in The Brethren JACK trip. I'd have taken any of those experiences alone....

Let's get 2009 rolling!!!!!

Back