Need some Good Ideas for a BBQ cook off

DavidEHickey

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm a trustee at a private club in Dayton Ohio and we decided to have a BBQ cook off for the Bengals and Green Bay game in September. Its more of a bragging rights thing than anything. We will have a few of the members be judges. Trying to think of something other than pulled pork or ribs. The unofficial rule is it has to has to be cooked on the grill and must utilize BBQ sauce. I tried to get the sauce requirement thrown out but I was over ridden. My first thought is making something with pork tenderloins. Maybe trying to stuff with sausage or chicken. Any suggestions or recipes to sway the judges would be appreciated.
David

I organize chili cookoffs and assist organizing BBQ cookoffs. First, in a "back yard" type of cookoff, you'll want to think about the time to properly cook/smoke. Pork is going to
take 8 hours if on fairly high heat, longer depending on heat and size of meat. Ribs will
be a minimum of 5 hours, 6 if done correctly. You can do something like a fatty in 3 to
4 hours... Something tells me you dont want these folks up all night long cooking...

Also, give yourself an hour to judge it before you need to head in to the Football game. Say 1pm start, you're probably going to want to head out by 12:15. Turn-in
then needs to be at 11:15, perhaps 11:00am.

Back figure the hours from there on cook times. Those times (above) were COOK
times; not time to light the fires and get a cooker up to temps...

Norcoredneck gave a pretty good list of what you'll want to cook. Anything
substantial and you're talking lengthy cook times...

Good luck with it.

I'm a trustee at a private club in Dayton Ohio and we decided to have a BBQ cook off for the Bengals and Green Bay game in September. Its more of a bragging rights thing than anything. We will have a few of the members be judges. Trying to think of something other than pulled pork or ribs. The unofficial rule is it has to has to be cooked on the grill and must utilize BBQ sauce. I tried to get the sauce requirement thrown out but I was over ridden. My first thought is making something with pork tenderloins. Maybe trying to stuff with sausage or chicken. Any suggestions or recipes to sway the judges would be appreciated.
David

How about tri tip, or a chimichurri? Maybe short ribs or stuffed chicken breasts? I would try to anticipate the "competition", and try to do something completely different than they would.

Tell you what If you can pry the recipe for the beef Single Fin cooked at one of CRocke's backyard contest you will be in the Money.

Back