Fall Off The Bone Ribs

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Do any of you purposely over cook your ribs to fall off the bone status to please your guests? Even though you know that's not the right way to do it?

I have done it before, but also did some that were "properly" cooked so they could try them side by side. Properly cooked has won ever single time.

Here we go again with right way/wrong way, I see nothing wrong with making something the way someone else likes it. If you had folks over for steaks, wouldn't you prepare them the your guests liking?

Not on purpose. I screwed up a few racks though.

My wife LIKES them fall off the bone, but she's finally figured out I'm not gonna do it that way on purpose. Maybe I should...just for her??? Maybe on Mothers' Day next year...

Here we go again with right way/wrong way, I see nothing wrong with making something the way someone else likes it. If you had folks over for steaks, wouldn't you prepare them the your guests liking?

I'm leaning towards over cooking them so I can please my guests. This thread was not made to say one way is wrong or right. It is about what would one do in that situation, sticking to ones guns or pleasing their guests.

I'm leaning towards over cooking them so I can please my guests. This thread was not made to say one way is wrong or right. It is about what would one do in that situation, sticking to ones guns or pleasing their guests.

Understood, I think a good host always tries to please his guests.

Oh, and you did say...

Do any of you purposely over cook your ribs to fall off the bone status to please your guests? Even though you know that's not the right way to do it?

:wink:

I have never cooked in competition but as a back yard BBQ guy I my self lean more towards ribs that fall off the bone , and they people that I cook for seem to prefer them as well .

Yeah, I'm back on exactly what IS "the right way"?

Funny, among the competition sanctioning bodies that define ribs, they disagree on what "the right way" is. So, I guess the right way is up to the beholder, isn't it?

When cooking ribs I actually prefer MBN's definition of the perfect rib, and it's more done that KCBS's definition.

What do I cook? I cook 'em until they're done, and we eat. Eat and be merry!

If it's feasible to do them both ways, I'd go for that. Let the peoples decide! I prefer them not falling off the bone, btw.

Tim, if I were cooking steaks, I would ask them how they wanted them and cook them that way (or try my best). I've cooked ribs for a lot of guests. I don't ask them if they want fall off the bone, or not. I try to give them easy to bite off the bone ribs and have never heard a complaint. IF someone were to ask me to cook them to where they fall off the bone, I would. However, if I'm cooking just one rack for my wife and I then I don't - at least not on purpose, because (1) even though she SAYS she likes them falling off the bone, she always raves about the ones I serve; (2) When I cook for us, I am usually doing so as practice for comps...so I want to do what I would do in a comp (even though I may change the sauce); and (3) I don't like them falling off the bone and I don't know how to do half falling off and half not falling off the bone...at least not intentionally.

Purposely... why not. Lots of special requests make my Q special to different people. Not too hot... well done steaks...not too smokey... I just smile and say sure!!
I make sure that my wifes and mine is the way we want it and occasionally we get a "make it the way you do yours" from a repeat guest! Alright!!
My wife knows the extra work I go to for some of her friends and she makes sure I feel appreciated- works for me!

What IS "the right way to do it"?

As Dan said: When I cook for us, I am usually doing so as practice for comps...so I want to do what I would do in a comp (even though I may change the sauce).

I do the very same thing. However, I'll bet 'ya $10 that he and I are practicing to hit a different mark. Is his wrong? Is mine wrong? Or, are they wonderful ribs? What about the person who really likes them fall-off-the-bone? They're wrong?

Back