MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

Default Certified KCBS Judge

I was wondering if KCBS judges are compensated for their time....other than getting to eat free BBQ.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

No, they're not compensated. Many spend a lot of time and money traveling to and from competitions. They're in it for many reasons. Some cook also and it helps to see what judges are looking for, some are backyard cooks, some just because they love BBQ.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Headed View Post
No, they're not compensated. Many spend a lot of time and money traveling to and from competitions. They're in it for many reasons. Some cook also and it helps to see what judges are looking for, some are backyard cooks, some just because they love BBQ.
Thank u sir

Old 12-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Although you do realize that a Master CBJ gets exactly double what a regular CBJ gets, right?

Really, I do it because I have a lot of friends who are cooks and I enjoy visiting with them on Friday evening and then after judging and at the awards.

This is a hobby / sport / obsession that does cost a bit when you add up the miles that I travel doing 12 to 15 contests a year and dragging my 30 foot fifth wheel around the country.

But then again - I don't have near the $$$ wrapped up in this that the average cook team does .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

With KCBS and MBN judging there is NO compensation for judging, and some events even require the judge to pay an entry fee to judge. A few of the North Carolina Pork Council events that I judge actually pay the judges $50 for judging a competition.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Judges get paid nothing but you have to also understand that there are about 60,000 who have passed the CBJ course and zero have failed the course so the value is pretty much nil.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
ribsrdone
Knows what a fatty is.

Ray, I hope you're questioning the value of the certification course and not the value of judges. Many of us study and practice prep,cooking,flavor profiles and other components of good tasting, competition quality bbq. I and many others I've met try very hard to be good judges. My wife and I traveled over 7000 miles last year to judge various contests. It gets a little old when we hear others denounce the quality of judges. Some people are painting with a pretty big brush it seems. It's been my experience that when you have large groups of people, both good and bad elements are found.
ribsrdone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

I'm a little surprised they aren't compensated. You have to pay to join KCBS, pay for the judging school, pay for your travel and I haven't even gotten to the time you put in. My hats are off to yall....there has to be some dedication there for all of that.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Judges get paid nothing but you have to also understand that there are about 60,000 who have passed the CBJ course and zero have failed the course so the value is pretty much nil.
Do I detect the cynicism of someone who has not taken the class for fear of failing? I'll bet that most of the folks who have taken the class will not even vote this January.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I know there are many dedicated good judges but there is no real way to know who they are. The CBJ program is excellent as a PR thing but pretty much useless for training judges. And while I appreciate some doing their own education it can make for a wide discrepancy among judges skills.
As a cook I get tired of hearing about all the miles judges travel. Hey they do it because it's their hobby and they like to travel just like the cooks do. Hobbies cost money. Very few cooks are making money doing contests. BTW I'm also a judge and I'm flying to Houston in Feb to judge and it never crossed my mind that I'd get paid or get travel money.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I know there are many dedicated good judges but there is no real way to know who they are. The CBJ program is excellent as a PR thing but pretty much useless for training judges. And while I appreciate some doing their own education it can make for a wide discrepancy among judges skills...
I agree. Even though I've only cooked a couple KCBS events (mainly cook IBCA). Just because a judge is certigied doesn't make them a better judge than someone who is not. IBCA goes over judging criteria before judging. IBCA does fine without certified judges, and I'm sure KCBS could also.

Just my opinion, and I have no hard feelings towards any CBJs, but you won't get me to pay to be certified.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq
As a cook I get tired of hearing about all the miles judges travel.
I totally agree! I'm still a newbie so right now I'm only cooking local comps. It has been brought to my attention that many of the event organizers don't want to use first time judges down here. If this is true, I think that is bogus! Local judges should be given first shot at judging local events. This leads me to wonder if imported judges are being brought in to make many of the big name points chasers happy.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

I personally value the CBJ program and the CBJ's. As a cook, the CBJ program gives me a standard to cook for, however when you have non-CBJ's/celebs you never know what your scores are going to look like (ever get scored down for a perfectly cooked rib and get a comment card that says the meat didn't fall off the bone?).

I average competing at over 12 contest per year and have found that, in all but very few instances, when I get low scores, I just have to look in the mirror to see the problem. Yes, every once in a while you will come across a hard table of judges, but that's the breaks. I guess I just had to grow up and quit blaming judges for my poor performances in the past.

As far as the judges traveling, I'm all for it. If anyone of you have ever met Dave, Rookie'48, you know he is one of the most knowledgeable individuals out there not to mention his love of the sport. Talking with him and other judges after the contest has shown me that they really love what they do and take it very serious. I would love to have a band of traveling Master CBJ's at any contest I am at rather than .... well, I'll just leave it at that.

As cooks, we should be thanking these individuals for their unselfish dedication to make our sport better. Those who are bagging on them should either get to know the judges or shut the frac up! Just MHO for what it's worth.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
I'll bet that most of the folks who have taken the class will not even vote this January.
And that is something that pi$$es me off . The e-ballot is right there on the computer - all you have to do is log in & VOTE. Last year less than 20% of the eligible members bothered to vote.

Basically we have 50% +1 of 18% of the membership electing the Bod . I guess that's ok with some folks but it still ticks me off.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyEarl View Post
I personally value the CBJ program and the CBJ's. As a cook, the CBJ program gives me a standard to cook for, however when you have non-CBJ's/celebs you never know what your scores are going to look like (ever get scored down for a perfectly cooked rib and get a comment card that says the meat didn't fall off the bone?).

I average competing at over 12 contest per year and have found that, in all but very few instances, when I get low scores, I just have to look in the mirror to see the problem. Yes, every once in a while you will come across a hard table of judges, but that's the breaks. I guess I just had to grow up and quit blaming judges for my poor performances in the past.

As far as the judges traveling, I'm all for it. If anyone of you have ever met Dave, Rookie'48, you know he is one of the most knowledgeable individuals out there not to mention his love of the sport. Talking with him and other judges after the contest has shown me that they really love what they do and take it very serious. I would love to have a band of traveling Master CBJ's at any contest I am at rather than .... well, I'll just leave it at that.

As cooks, we should be thanking these individuals for their unselfish dedication to make our sport better. Those who are bagging on them should either get to know the judges or shut the frac up! Just MHO for what it's worth.
I guess I should re-phrase myself. I have no real issue with judges traveling, I just don't like the idea that we could have locals that have taken the class and gotten certified but can't find a contest to judge at because they fill up with out of state judges.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote