MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:23 AM   #1
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default The Gentrification Of BBQ

I come from a grilling background. I remember a Sears grill similar to today’s PK Grill, loaded with Kingsford- squirted with Gulflite or in some cases kerosene. When ashes were totally gray and the grate scraped , meat cooked well done + would follow. Ever chew on the last 1/8” of a well done tbone-bone? Good actually. And when your splitting the steak with your brother, a fight could ensue who’s turn it was for the T. Kind of like the teaspoon of meat on a ham hock in a pot of navy beans. Dad got that.

Now BBQ is an upscale affair. 20-30 dollars per pound, reservations required, long lines, sold out signs.

I met my Mother, sister plus her husband and a nephew at a local BBQ Restaurant for Mother’s Day. I had a cup of coffee. I observed and listened. To my table and those around me. Ran into my Brides cousin and aunt.

I had just ridden my bike in the Texas Heat and BBQ just didn’t sound that good. It looked great though.

Look at the locations, the awards, the popularity of bbq today. Look at the various types of time saving less labor intensive methods of cooking Q.

No longer a poor mans food.

Hang on to your Kingsford and Gulflite (sp). Cherish your backyard traditions of your youth

Don’t lose it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:51 AM   #2
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

The masses have realized just how good BBQ when done right can be.

I don't think this lessons the rich history of BBQ any more than the automation and advances in say the car industry (analogue my brain came up with pre-coffee this morning). Electric vehicles and automated plants don't de-value the amazing muscle cars and model T that came before them for instance.

I'm ok with "chic" BBQ and a simple S&P brisket living together happily.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2018, 05:57 AM   #3
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Can Adams get an "Amen"?

The Phrase "living high on the hog" is believed to date back to a time when only the wealthy ate the choicest cuts of pork such as loin and chops. The poor were left with tougher less desirable cuts and had to find ways to cook them. Same with beef. At one point, brisket was considered a throw away cut. Barbecue evolved as a way to cook those cuts.

In today's world, culinary journalists are always looking for the next thing. Having spent all of their time in fancy urban restaurants, they see barbecue cooked over real wood as "authentic". Pay attention to how they write about "pitmasters". They treat them as culinary wizards who practice some mystic ancient art.

I think that most of us who are true enthusiasts consider ourselves "cooks" and enjoy the good food and camaraderie that exists within our community of practitioners.

Look at this site and how friendly and supportive everyone is. Then go to nearly any other site and look at how mean, nasty, and petty people are. Nasty and hungry is no way to go through life.

David

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:29 AM   #4
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Amen
bschoen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 06:29 AM   #5
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
No longer a poor mans food.

This is the Gospel truth!

AMEN!

another thing Im seeing is that a lot of bbq has become a vehicle for SUGAR.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:36 AM   #6
ncmoose
is one Smokin' Farker

My abiding memory of steak as a kid is choking (it seems like once every time we had it). I assume this was because it was such a rare occasion and I was excited and eating too fast but I'm sure it was also because it wasn't an "ideal" cut.

I guess it's a sign of success of a society that we don't focus on just getting to eat, but it has to be "just so". I'll just be thankful for that.
ncmoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 07:25 AM   #7
16Adams

Everything comes and goes. In my mind Barbecue should be enjoyable hard work. Nothing guaranteed not always the same result, MSU on the fly. Does that make sense, or is that yesterday’s 7 Shiner still slow-rapid firing thru synaptic routes??

Maybe it’s this couple ounces of Shack Sauce staring at me begging to get on some pig.

All that being said, probably the best barbecue sandwich of my life was at Heirloom Market Atlanta. Korean Fusion BBQ. Kimchi coleslaw. Good Lord it was grand.

I’m not opposed to advancement of barbecue, I just don’t want to forget where it started for me.

Now about that Arby’s bourbon bbq sandwich commercial.

Last edited by 16Adams; 05-14-2018 at 07:44 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #8
KevinJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
Can Adams get an "Amen"?

The Phrase "living high on the hog" is believed to date back to a time when only the wealthy ate the choicest cuts of pork such as loin and chops. The poor were left with tougher less desirable cuts and had to find ways to cook them. Same with beef. At one point, brisket was considered a throw away cut. Barbecue evolved as a way to cook those cuts.

In today's world, culinary journalists are always looking for the next thing. Having spent all of their time in fancy urban restaurants, they see barbecue cooked over real wood as "authentic". Pay attention to how they write about "pitmasters". They treat them as culinary wizards who practice some mystic ancient art.

I think that most of us who are true enthusiasts consider ourselves "cooks" and enjoy the good food and camaraderie that exists within our community of practitioners.

Look at this site and how friendly and supportive everyone is. Then go to nearly any other site and look at how mean, nasty, and petty people are. Nasty and hungry is no way to go through life.

David
Well said David.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
Monte Cristo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
This is the Gospel truth!

AMEN!

another thing Im seeing is that a lot of bbq has become a vehicle for SUGAR.
I was stunned when I saw someone post a beautiful pic of their meal from a BBQ joint they had recently gone to. Someone else followed up with a question regarding how much was the tray....reply was $55!!

Old 05-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
BillATL
Full Fledged Farker

It's cultural appropriation! Make them stop!

Seriously, it's no different than seeing $100 hamburgers or $25000 tacos.

(seriously, $25000 https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...o-in-the-world)

Everyone is looking for the next thing to elevate to haute cuisine. But it is kind of funny when you realize that the whole point of a lot of barbecue traditions was to take what nobody wanted and make it delicious.
BillATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
SmittyJonz

Hot coffee after a Long Hot Bike Ride.? They didn’t have Ice Tea?

Old 05-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #12
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

I was lucky growing up in that dad grilled at least once a week and rarely cooked beef past medium. I came from modest means however we ate well, mom was a great cook and ensured we always left the table with a full belly.

The high cost of BBQ is the reason I don't go to BBQ joints and why I decided to shell out a lot of $$ to make Que at home. I remember the price of meat from my childhood and every time I go to the market I cringe at the price of meat and produce yet have not seen the quality keep up with the prices.

I agree with Adams in that we must keep the backyard traditions alive and ensure those that come after us can and will keep up the traditions.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #13
ODU Dad
On the road to being a farker

IMO, barbecue is all about taking a piece of CHEAP meat and turning it into something remarkable using low temperature smoke over a long period of time. Right now that has to be pork butts with an occasional turkey because beef of any cut is damn expensive east of the Mississippi. If I am going to pay pretty much the same per pound for rib-eye and brisket or ribs, why would I want to use all that fuel - and time - on the tough stuff?

Until cheap meat goes back to being cheap, I don't see things getting better.
ODU Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #14
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODU Dad View Post
IMO, barbecue is all about taking a piece of CHEAP meat and turning it into something remarkable using low temperature smoke over a long period of time. Right now that has to be pork butts with an occasional turkey because beef of any cut is damn expensive east of the Mississippi. If I am going to pay pretty much the same per pound for rib-eye and brisket or ribs, why would I want to use all that fuel - and time - on the tough stuff?

Until cheap meat goes back to being cheap, I don't see things getting better.
Adams and I tend to buy meat marked down for quick sale. I've bought brisket that way to cut up into stew beef.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #15
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Has anyone actually calculated the "cheap meat" cost? Aside from professional catering and BBQ joints?

I haven't, because I know when I do it will be expensive as hell.

Rubs, sauces, injections, wood chunks, fuel, accessories (pans, thermometers), cooker cost .... yadda yadda...

I think our hobby could have once been cheap, and certainly a means to make cheaper cuts of meat taste good, but for most of us it ain't now.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote