You Can't Judge a Sauce By It's Label

K

kcquer

Tried Famous Dave's Sweet and Zesty a few weeks ago and loved it. So last time I was at that store I picked up a bottle of the Original Recipe Rich and Sassy. How disappointing. Not bad sauce, just incredibly ordinary almost like kraft. The Sweet and Zesty will be a staple in the fridge for a long time but I'm gonna have to use the other in beans and marinades.

Hey E, couldnt agree more

Sweet & Zesty is always near.

You try any others?

I bought two private label Q sauces and some Jap Jelly at a Cheese store on my way to Bass Pro a couple weeks ago. One honey habenero, I've tried it. It's just so so, way more honey than hab. Tastes a bit like Lea & Perrins steak sauce. The other is apple cinnamon Q sauce. Haven't tried it yet but in my mind it has to go on pork, maybe a pork loin. Would like to try Famous Daves Hot if it's not too hot.

If you like FD sweet and zesty sauce then try Big Johns Ole' West sauce. Taste just like FD but with bigger flakes of black pepper. You can find it at:
www.jamesvalleycompany.com

And the FD hot and spicey is not that hot.

Agree with Midnight.

FD Hot is warm (which is good. I don't want habanero all the time)

I've been blending the FD's S&Z with Blues Hog. yummm! Suprising how little of a hotter sauce it takes to put a warm finish on the S&Z. It must have more heat components in it than I thought, just very subtle. Read the label the other day I guess one of the unique sweet elements would be concetrated raisin juice.

Blues Hog is Hot?

That stuff is pretty sweet, never thought it was even slightly warm.

Throw it in the fridge and its like honey, very thick

I didn't say BH was a hot sauce, I said it was hotter than S&Z. It (BH) has a strong black or cayenne pepper finish for a sauce with that much sugar.

How does Blues Hog work as a glaze, I would think you couldn't cook it very long with all that sugar.

When I had a bottle I brushed it one ribs before tossing into the cooler. Probably just as good as a glaze.

Blues Hog cut with a little bit of apple juice works pretty good as a rib glaze.
Mike

Back