KC Style? Really?

I was in Dallas once and a place had PORK ribs. WTF?!?!?!!?!? :x
LOL! Yeah, we're known for our beef and link sausage but we do a little pork too, in fact we'll try to BBQ just about anything down here. Deer, rabbit, quail and wild pig have all been on my family's pit and a couple of family members have come close as well cause they didn't help pay any of the bills or bring enough beer to the party!:wink:

Yeah, about the only thing that isn't common is pork butt. Some places do pulled pork, some don't. But you can find brisket, ribs, and sausage everywhere.

KC Masterpiece set the standard for American BBQ sauce. Since then the torched has been passed to Sweet Baby Ray's which is probably the most popular BBQ sauce in America. Don't believe me, go to a grocery store (pick any major chain) and look at the shelf space allocated to them.

I've always known KC BBQ to be sauce oriented BBQ. Almost every documentary I watch on BBQ, when they get to KC Style Q it is depicted as a slab of ribs baptized in thick BBQ sauce.

On a side note, much of our society is so ignorant to other type of sauces and bbq out there it is pitiful. Even in the "BBQ states" I find that people's definition of "real bbq sauce" falls exactly in line with Sweet Baby Ray's and KC Masterpiece type sauces. You ask them if they've ever had a carolina or memphis style sauce and they look at you like you're nuts.

Yeah, about the only thing that isn't common is pork butt. Some places do pulled pork, some don't. But you can find brisket, ribs, and sausage everywhere.

Although..... Many of the places actually slice their butts and layer them on their sandwiches. One of my fav is a combo with brisket and pork. But you are right - not too many KC joints feature pulled pork. That's more Carolina style or some other southern/eastern place. Not that we don't really enjoy it...

Although..... Many of the places actually slice their butts and layer them on their sandwiches. One of my fav is a combo with brisket and pork. But you are right - not too many KC joints feature pulled pork. That's more Carolina style or some other southern/eastern place. Not that we don't really enjoy it...

I meant in TX pulled pork isn't as common. Pork butt in general just isn't cooked as much around here. I'd never even *heard* of pork steaks (sliced butt) until I got onto BBQ forums and found out what folks around the country are doing.

Hey, at least for your episode you got beef.

The Georgia Episode had.... Salmon.... They said something like, this is what I'm looking for with "Georgia Style Salmon"?!?!?!? If you're going to do fish in GA how about Bass or Trout or Catfish? Some fish you can actually catch in this state and what people actually eat. You're gonna give GA BBQ Pitmasters a fish from thousands of miles away?

Then they stressed the necessity of vinegar flavor in GA sauce. While I do like Vinegar based sauces, that's NC style in my humble opinion. GA is sweet. Now mixing some vinegar to make a sweet sauce is good in my opinion (and I do it with my own sauce), I would think that sweet beats out all other GA flavor profiles.

/steps off soapbox.

There isn't really one traditional anything in Kansas City BBQ.

I usually make my own sauces and put in what I want. And most of the time I'll make one fiery and one sweet and let those partaking mix and match to their own tastes. Being from North Carolina where AC vinegar, sugar, and crushed red pepper make the traditional sauces...I couldn't really tell you about what the different tastes are from regions of our great country. But then I just cook for friends, family, and church and don't get into any comps which is where having that knowledge would be essential.

Back