80 Pounds of Butt! Large Butts!

Desert Dweller

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
8 butts totaling just a hair over 80 pounds. One of the cryo's was only 16+ lbs., so you know the others were over 20, one just over 22. Yup, I used the new BDS Mega 3143 for this cook, started with five & three, then went to four per shelf, and you can see that there is still room for plenty more. This cooker advertises 20 butt capacity, but they mean 5-6 pounders, not huge butts like these! I'm feeding 55 pulled pork (not on a bun), so I figured 1/2 pound each person. One of the butts is gonna go in the beans, and another will be chowed down by the four boys...

I have Onion/Dill Dinner rolls and Cornbread along with my version of Cowboy Beans as sides, as requested by the customer. I am also making MOINK, and POP (Plenty of Pork; Lil Smokey, wrapped in ham, rubbed, wrapped in bacon...Plenty of Pork!) Enough of this, on with the show, and thanks for lookin in!~

Attachments

• Shurtz 1 001.jpg
    Shurtz 1 001.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Shurtz 1 002.jpg
    Shurtz 1 002.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 744
  • Shurtz 1 011.jpg
    Shurtz 1 011.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Shurtz 1 006.jpg
    Shurtz 1 006.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 215
  • Shurtz 1 004.jpg
    Shurtz 1 004.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Shurtz 1 007.jpg
    Shurtz 1 007.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 217
  • Shurtz 1 008.jpg
    Shurtz 1 008.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 218
  • Shurtz 1 010.jpg
    Shurtz 1 010.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 217
"I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny" :biggrin:

(Sr. Mixalot) - must have been fan of BBQ

I'm starving, looks awesome. Are those butts seasoned???

Nope... I never season with pulled pork unless I'm gonna bag and foil the last stage, then I mix a little apple juice and a rub and put about 1/3 cup of the mix in each bag before I foil and put back on the cooker. But I don't think I'm gonna do that this time, as I have plenty of time to finish in the smoker...

Looks great Bo! Was this the maiden voyage for BDS Mega?

Nope... Last Friday I did a briskett, a couple racks of Memphis style ribs, a rack of Dino Bones and a chucky, on one shelf...:icon_cool

Looks good! I like cooking unseasoned butts sometimes too. The plain pork flavor makes the meat a little more versatile for use in various leftovers sometimes!:cool:

Looks good! I like cooking unseasoned butts sometimes too. The plain pork flavor makes the meat a little more versatile for use in various leftovers sometimes!:cool:

True, AND, the BDS like the UDS is so close to pit smoking with the rendered fat dripping onto the coal/wood ring that it's sweet enough just that way...

I like mine foiled, Have picture and if this thread makes it to woodpile i'll post it!:twisted: Good looking rig and grub. How much fuel for the cook?

I like mine foiled, Have picture and if this thread makes it to woodpile i'll post it!:twisted: Good looking rig and grub. How much fuel for the cook?
About nine pounds of briquettes, I know it was a bit less than half a 21 pound bag of Kingsford, plus a couple chunks of Black Cherry and one of Pecan. Burned for right at 11 hours, which worked out well because it took that long fo the 11 pounders.

You sure give that drum a work out
Always figured to get my monies worth out of something...

That is one heck of a lot of meat. They sure do look great, I makes me wish I had a something on the cooker right now.

I, as a lover and afficionado of big butts, can really get behind this cook (no pun intended, or maybe it was). However, your arithmetic has me a little puzzled. I buy my butts packed 2 to a cryo bag and each weigh on the avg 10-12#, perhaps the piggies in your neck of the woods aren't the big butts we all crave. Btw, the pron looks great. They had me droolin', whatever their weight.

That is the mac Daddy of barrel smokers! Like to see ton of butts. Nice pron.

Jumpin belly slapper that looks good!!!!!!!!

I, as a lover and afficionado of big butts, can really get behind this cook (no pun intended, or maybe it was). However, your arithmetic has me a little puzzled. I buy my butts packed 2 to a cryo bag and each weigh on the avg 10-12#, perhaps the piggies in your neck of the woods aren't the big butts we all crave. Btw, the pron looks great. They had me droolin', whatever their weight.

Most of the cryos I get here from the local grocery average about 12-16 lbs. Yes, two to a bag, so they are about 6-8 lbs apiece. This time they were huge for this area, at least to my limited experience.

Back