• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

OK, stickburners... let's see those small and hot fires.

Thanks a lot brother, I'm trying learn stickburning without coal or lump because I have a bunch of red oak I got in exchange for two smoked butts. So any words of wisdom I appreciate :)

Thanks a lot brother, I'm trying learn stickburning without coal or lump because I have a bunch of red oak I got in exchange for two smoked butts. So any words of wisdom I appreciate :)

Not sure if my way of running fire in a stick burner is the "right" way to do it but I've changed it along the way since I've been using my pit. When I was running straight wood at first my food, especially ribs I found a bit too smokey. I found that smaller fires helped that. So what I started doing was when I was lighting the pit I'd lay down a bed of lump then put about 4-5 splits on top and light the fire. Once it's all lit I close the doors on the pit & I run the pit with all vents open to burn the wood down and preheat. Once it's up to temp I close the intakes to 1/4 & I add 1-2 splits at a time as the fire burns down. I usually keep a fairly small fire in the pit from here on out. I add extra coal when I'm doing a hot and fast cook.

Just sharing my method if it's of any use. :wink:

Cheers Brother

I guess I run a medium sized fire probably due to the fact that I am too lazy to cut down my splits. With that said, I am able to manage the temps with the intakes, and preheat the sticks to ensure clean combustion. Here is a new fire on a cold night...

Attachments

• cold fire.jpg
    cold fire.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 842
  • coldfire1.jpg
    coldfire1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 843
I hit my steel with the weedburner to warm it up a bit. I also place some briquettes in the firebox first, light and then add logs as needed. 45 minutes to an hour.

I feel the secret to a clean fire is keeping a good bed of HOT coals under the splits.
You get that going and you could throw a concrete block in there and it'll burn!
Oh yeah... pre-heat the splits before you put them in the firebox. Makes a world of difference.
Also, if you can, the air intake needs to be below the fire, so that it pulls the air through/across the coals; makes hotter. I've raised mine (the grate) up a few inches and have had much better results.

P1020281.jpg

I only use a small pile of charcoal to get a coal bed started. From then on it is splits only.

hmmm i think ill try to put the grate up on the next set of bars so it is a little higher than the intakes. maybe thatll help me out. and ill see if the coals r staying up on the rack enough.

In my Oklahoma Joe. Yes I have the worst fire grates in the world. They are on the list for a spring upgrade.

_DSC8544.jpg

The first pic is how I start then I keep it at the burned down size. This size fire will keep my smoker temp between 225-275 degrees depending on how you handle the air flow.

Attachments

• IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 783
  • IMG_1871.JPG
    IMG_1871.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 785
The first pic is how I start then I keep it at the burned down size. This size fire will keep my smoker temp between 225-275 degrees depending on how you handle the air flow.

my firebox looks the same. however mine came with the bottom grate turned over the other way, so those 2 metal strips are facing up. that way you can lay the splits over them so they keep the splits off the bottom and from smothering (at least thats what i thought)...

dont know if there is much more new to add to the great coaching already provided...but i might suggest that you try to use sticks that are all seasoned the same. i have trouble with my small fires when some sticks burn faster (or slower) than the others. seems like i get in a cycle where i constantly have to add small amounts to keep the temp steady but because i am constantly opening the box and adding sticks the fire never gets to a steady long burn.

hang with it, practice more than anything else is the key, sometimes it just takes a while to figure out a new rig.

Does any run with their air intake wide open? Just wondering because I have actually found that I get a cleaner burn and it is easier for me to control my target temp. if I just leave the intake and exhaust wide open. I end up putting two small splits on every 30 minutes or so. I like to cook in the 250 - 300 range.

Does any run with their air intake wide open? Just wondering because I have actually found that I get a cleaner burn and it is easier for me to control my target temp. if I just leave the intake and exhaust wide open. I end up putting two small splits on every 30 minutes or so. I like to cook in the 250 - 300 range.

Personally, my rig would run too hot wide open all the time. If I add splits to the fire and the smoke gets thick I usually open the vents all the way to get a clean burn going again the very gradually close them to 1/4 open to maintain 250 - 275. I found that if I shut them down too fast that tends to give white smoke sometimes.

Cheers

Personally, my rig would run too hot wide open all the time. If I add splits to the fire and the smoke gets thick I usually open the vents all the way to get a clean burn going again the very gradually close them to 1/4 open to maintain 250 - 275. I found that if I shut them down too fast that tends to give white smoke sometimes.

Cheers

That's what I wondered, when I did my test burn the other day, it was 20 degrees and with a 20 mph wind. I was running with intakes wide open and was maintaining bottom shelf temps of 230 -240 and top shelf temps in the 280 - 300 range, this was with 2 small splits added every 30 minutes. For fun I decided to add 4 small splits to see what would happen, and I hit 450+ in my hot spot.

^^^I normally try to run with exhaust all the open all the time, and intake is almost always all the way open as well. I'll leave the firebox door open right after adding a split and it gets nice & ignited.

BTW how awesome is stickburning? When I have the time, it is absolutely my favorite method of smoking.

Back