Cooking for a camping trip...

LMAJ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Going camping in a few weeks and we have been put in charge of most meats... :thumb:

Got up this morning and threw on 4 corned beef flats that had been soaked and then rubbed with Montreal Steak seasoning, 4 naked fatties, and 1 chuck roast. Wanted to also do a pork shoulder, but the Egg was full to the gills so that will have to wait.
Just pulled the fatties and it is all I can do not to slice into one... but the house smells awesome.
The corned beefs are for the trip - some will be diced up for hash, some will be sliced thin for sandwiches. Will do all the cutting/slicing before I vacu-seal them and toss them in the deep freeze.... pics to follow....

Just take an end off of one of the fatties! No one will know!

Pron...

The fatties after an hour and a half...
DSC_0024-2.jpg

A very full Egg - picture this with the 4 fatties around the chuckie. There are two flats on each grill.
I was using the spider and adjustable rig from the Ceramic Grill Store - that along with an extender allows for 3 levels of cooking.
DSC_0029-2.jpg

I love the Egg - it's a versatile cooker. Did wings and ABT's last night raised direct at about 350 degrees. When they were done I removed the adjustable rig, put in the plate setter and pizza stone, cranked the temp up to 500 and cooked pizzas. This morning, she is chugging along along at 220, low and slow. My husband made the comment today that he likes the Egg because you can set it and feel confident the temps will hold.

Gonna be one rock'n camping trip. When I was a kid we just burned some canned ravioli in the fire coals.

You have given me some great ideas, I have been playing around with Fatties, they definitely would make a great camping meal with some BBQ beans, slaw, etc. Brisket or some pulled pork freeze easy and can be brought back to life quickly. I envy you, I have to wait a couple more months before heading off into the woods.
I love the picture of your dog, lost my black lab (camping buddy) two years ago. Enjoy your trip, mines already planned for June & July.
Big Kahuna

Back